What to do about my 2 yr old daughter........

For the most part she is good she listens most the time. The problem i have with her is when she does something wrong and i put her in timeout it doesn't work. She gets worse. She screams and kicks and just freaks out. dont know what else to do. Also, she HATES bedtime. and we recently changed her crib to a toddler bed. so thats worse because she just gets right back out unless i lay there with her, usually takes an hr. if im lucky. what to do ....... thanks moms any advice would be appreciated!!

Cortneym21

Asked by Cortneym21 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Spank her tooshie..i dont know if you favor spanking..but thats what i would do
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 12:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• As for the time outs, they START when she stays put in the time out spot. I have literally had to do a 2 minute timeout that took 4 hours to complete.

As for the bed time, do your normal routine, give hugs and kisses and tuck her into bed. The 1st time you put her back in bed give hugs and tuck her in. The 2nd time you put her back in bed tell her it's bed time and tuck her in. The 3rd+ time you put her back in bed say nothing, do not engage her at all and just put her back in bed.

This can, and has in my house, take hours to complete. BUT she will eventually learn that SHE is not in control and stop fighting you. The key for ANY 2 year old is consistency.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Consistency is good. But taking HOURS to get them to sit in time out is a bit too much. At that point I would try to calm her down give her a tight hug and explain to her the problem. If she does it again, put her in time out and ignore her for 2 minutes. when its over ask her why she went into time out.

That's what I would do. But don't spend 4 hrs trying to put them in time out...that's just ridiculous
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I only wish i knew, my almost four year old acts pretty much the same way and has been since she was 1. regular discipline doesn't work she fights back(words,kicks,screams, and huffs and puffs away. bed time is getting easier but i have to time it just right. Whem getting her ready for bed, i have to wait till 8, then haave her take a bath, let her sit in there for 10-30 min, put her in her jammas, put a movie on for her in her bedroom cover her up snuggly, kiss her goodnight, and anywhere from 20-45 minutes later shes fast asleep. good luck, some girls are meant to give you a hard time. from what ive heard it means there going to be very independent and strong willed so maybe futures presidents lol
    mrswII0908

Answer by mrswII0908 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i have an 18 mth old so i understand completely. i've learned that consistency is most important. ingore the fit when you put her in time out. as long as she's getting your attention, she is going to continue to act out. if she gets up put her back until she's spent her 2 mins in timeout then explain what time out was for and what you expect in the future. be sure to reinforce with affection afterwards. as for bed time when she gets up just continue to return her to her bedroom and tell her you'll see her in the morning. a routine also helps prepare them for bed.
    delah15

Answer by delah15 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I had a kid like that. Time-outs work now but as a toddler we could have the occasional fit of annoyance over it that didn't help.

Mostly we tie consequence to actions, though. If you do x, then y happens. If you fight with your sister over the Wii, then the Wii gets turned off and you don't play. If you cop an attitude with me about the time I expect you home from your friend's house, you just don't go to your friend's house. Period. End of story. At 2 years old, I did a lot more address then redirect. "Don't touch the dog's bowl. Help me make dinner. You can hand-shred lettuce for a salad." At this age kids often lack the emotional IQ and vocab to express themselves. They also lack impulse control to ignore the urge to do something even if they know they shouldn't. Give them the words, "I know you are angry, but we do not stick our toys in our ear. It could hurt you and I do not want to see you get hurt."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011