Bell Palsy ?

I wrote yesterday about my friend getting hit in the face. He just got out of the ER and they told him he has Bell Palsy? What is that?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 12:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Health

• paralysis of the face
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thanks
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Is it dangerous?
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Nope it's harmless, they'll probably administer predisone to help it go away. It's annoying and can last a long time, but it's not lethal or permanant.
    jdouglas111

Answer by jdouglas111 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It usually goes away on its own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_palsy
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It's temporary paralysis of the face that may or may not improve. Most people who get Bells Palsy that regain muscle movement generally have a small area that takes longer to heal. Some experience a droopy eye.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It's only of half your face not all of it. I had it when I was 18. My x had it when he was 21. It goes away in a few weeks. I didn't smile during that time bc it made my face go crooked. Half my lips smiled and the other just hung there! I had to tape my eye shut at night and wore an eye patch during the day to protect my eye from dust and sand since it couldn't blink. He may want to get some eye drops. The worst part for me is when my dad took me out to dinner for my birthday and I stabbed myself in the cheek with the fork bc my mouth didn't open! He'll be fine. The only thing I notice that others don't is when I blink the one eye doesn't blink as quickly as the other so I'm self conscious about having my pictures taken.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have had experience treating Bell's Palsy both right after onset and also after a six + weeks of trying all Western approaches. I will tell you up front, that getting it treated with acupuncture as soon after onset as possible will yield the best results. Patient A regained 95% of her elasticity and muscle tension within 4 treatments. That took less than 1 week. Patient B, who went with prednisone and later antibiotics (for what reason I still cannot fathom) neither of which worked and came to me after almost 2 months with it, had only 5% improvement after 8 treatments. Unfortunately, he gave up on treatments so I don't know the outcome of his case. Most cases have excellent response to acupuncture when treated immediately.
    Hope this helps!
    Sexedforkids

Answer by Sexedforkids at 1:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• my uncle has it especially when he been working a lot and tired they thought he had a stroke a while back and found it to be this, if he relaxes and naps then he tends to be ok
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I went to the ER awhile back and told them my face was numb etc and they told me I had it, went to another ER 2 days later told them what they said at the other ER and they did a CT scan and said no you don't have it , you have a bad sinus infection, put me on meds and it went away within a week. so I would tell him to get a 2nd opinion but even if that is what is wrong , it won't last forever and meds like steroids will help it.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011