What can I do to help my son stay focus?

My 8 year old son have a hard time staying focus on his school work. He is in the 3rd grade now and when the school have those standardized tests he have a hard time staying focus and therefore, he do not do well on them. Now that he is in the 3rd grade, he have to pass these tests to go to the next grade. I have had him tested at school and they have not been able do pinpoint anything that would cause this. Do anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help my son? He is very smart and knows his work but he can not stay focus and can not complete the test which also cause him anxiety which make him cry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would limit the child's time spent watching tv, videos and electronic games. While it appears that a child is completely focused when doing these things, it actually works against the brains, b/c the brain doesn't have to "work" when doing these activities. I would limit the time like 30 min. to an hour. Have him spend as much time with you as possible, like while you cook dinner or are cleaning up the kitchen, have him help you, talking and enjoying the interaction. It has been discovered that the more time a child spends with an adult (parent), the higher the test scores. Also, children that have been read to, and/or read aloud, or read for enjoyment, also test better.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• continued....So in the evening when its bedtime, have him read to you aloud, and/or give him a timer and say "Hey, I'll let you stay up for 20 more min. and you can pick your favorite book!" Make it sound like something that is fun and a privilege. Lastly, I would be sure that this child is still getting a good 12 hours quality sleep at nite. You are welcome to chit chat with us at Common Sense Parenting here on Cafemom groups. :)

lifeasinoit