How can I get my guys personal hygine to improve?

I don't want to just come out and ask him to take a shower or shove a tooth brush in his face (that's his worst problem) but I don't know what to do. I'm not the kind of person who would just come out and say "Damn you need to brush!" But I'm lost here. Help?

3Smiths

Asked by 3Smiths at 2:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Relationships

• Wow! Maybe do it together! "hey honey I am going to brushing my teeth I got your toothbrush set out for you." "hey honey I am going to take a shower want to join" Yep thats the best I've got for you!
    Anonymous

• thats just disgusting. you should just tell him.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well with my husband I have no qualms about telling him when he smells and needs to take a shower. He knows I love him anyway but if he wants to be close to me he needs to smell clean. As for brushing his teeth, try putting a suction cup to the wall of the shower and putting his toothbrush and a separate tube of toothpaste in it. I've found with guys sometimes they just look at teeth-brushing as too time consuming. If he can knock out both tasks at one time it may make it easier for you to get him to do it. It may sound gross but it's not nearly as gross as having to smell chronic bad breath because he doesn't want to brush his teeth.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• not sure how old he is.. but should be old enough to know it better... my answer wasnt suppose to be mean.. hope you know that.. but i think that hygine is very important.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I wish I could "just tell him" but I can't. I'm too nice for that. I'd rather do it... in hints or something but I'm not creative.... He's almost 17
    3Smiths

Answer by 3Smiths at 2:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• dont brush, bathe or shave for a few days and see if he says anything, im sure he will be grossed out as much as you are. or you can just tell him no action until he takes a shower :)
    learae

Answer by learae at 2:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Tell him "omg i think it's just so effing sexy when your breath smells like mint" or just suggest a steamy shower together.. lol
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 2:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My biggest thing is a mans hygiene. My husband was really good at staying on top of it when we first got together and now he is slacking. He waits until 2:00 in the afternoon to brush his teeth and take a shower. I am a very blunt person so I just told him that he is grossing me out and he needs to do it first thing when he gets up. What worked the best for the brushing was me telling him I wouldn't kiss him until he brushed. I am very grossed out by people that don't brush their teeth and my hubby kissed me one day before he brushed and I started gagging, he was embarrassed but it worked....try it, it may work.

Crystal
    cphilp2007

Answer by cphilp2007 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I am a little confused as to whether this is your son or your husband you are talking about....if he is your son...get a backbone and just tell him...if he's your husband...again, get a backbone and just tell him you love him very much and you don't want to hurt his feelings, but his breath is bad. As far as the bathing thing, you could get him some "man" body wash stuff or get him some new deodorant and tell him you saw it, it smells really good and you thought he would like it. Once he actually uses it, give him a lot of attention and maybe he'll put 2 & 2 together. My husband and I both tell each other (not in a hateful way) that the other has bad breath. We both acknowledge our BO by ourselves so we're aware of that. We do have a farm though.
    Anonymous

• Some men just don't care if they aren't clean. I dated a guy for a VERY short time because of that. I noticed he didn't shower regularly and that was enough for me. Bad teeth gross me out too. My friend's husband doesn't shower regularly and it pukes her out. She will just tell him he needs to go take a shower though. I think it has something to do with how they are raised. He tried to get onto their kids about taking a shower every day and thank goodness she told him there was PLENTY of water for everyone to bathe daily. It grosses me out that some guys will take a shower, but they don't wash everything "downstairs" well. I gotta stop writing this is making me sick.
    Anonymous