Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

What am I supposed to do as a single mom, and no more job, no money, and my bills are coming in.

I was just fired from my job. Why. Because my2 year old daughter is sick with bronchitis, shes been struggling with this on and off since she was born. Shes in preschool. I had to call out for the next week, because she needs 24 hour care and CANNOT go to school with this as it is contagious.

They called me toda and told me how unreliable I was needing a week off that if I needed it I should consider being a stay at home mom. How could they do this to me? I needed this job, I am in school full time, my job was full time and barely got my daughter and I through. I have no body to ask for help, or childcare while i go to school.

I guess public assistance is my only option. What should I do in this situation, I feel like I may have a nervous break down, but my daughter needs me.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • i am so sorry to hear that, yes PA sounds like a good option because u need it. why don't you try finding a job at a restaurant ? it is easier said than done especially in this economy because jobs are hard to come by. any ways it is worth a shot, and i wish u luck. you should check out this website called and see if you can find some work, even though it is temp work. hope this helps.

    Answer by gwen20 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • You could get unemployment also and the public assistance of course it is there for reasons like this, for people who need a helping hand. You should maybe look into work from home jobs, there are some legitimate ones out there, they are not all scams. Also maybe you should try to cut back on school hours so you don't completely overwhelmed with that, work, and taking care of your seem to be stretching yourself a bit too much. Are there family members who can help you?

    Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • gwen20, thank you I will look at this site.

    Gomezmami2908, I have no family that would help me, I left the nest at 15 and never looked back, its been years and I'm not a welcomed family member. I would love to just quit school, because its a different college where full time is our only option because it gets you through quicker. Thank you.

    I need a day to cry it out. I wish I even had a friend in alaska.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • Work at home job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • this may not be good but pray (:

    Answer by brittbritt103 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • I will pray for you I know finding another job is a pain. Just get all your info like bills, bank account statements, rental agreement, and birth certificates. When you go to the PA office. Maybe they will need even more. Hopefully you will bounce back fast!

    Answer by momavanessa at 1:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • I'm so sorry for what you're going through. There is nothing wrong with getting some government assistance right now until you can get on your feet. I hope your daughter is better. I know it's easier said than done, but try to keep yourself calm and get your stuff together to get help ASAP -- your daughter needs you. You can do it.  I will be praying for you.  If you like to talk I'm here.



    Answer by Ashoonik at 2:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • Awe Hun I am so sorry that you are going through this! I got fired from a job for my son having pneumonia! Its so hard being a single mom! I suggest you go down to you local department of Social Service and apply for emergency food stamps and Public assistance. If you have been at the job for more then three months; then fight for unemployment. (((((HUGS))))) Best of luck to you and your baby!

    Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 4:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • After my DS got RSV at 11wks old, I have to tell you, I understand how much they need when they're chronically sick!

    That said, file for unemployment, apply for food stamps, Medicaid for your LO, and WIC if she is 5 or under. There is also help with utilities, sometimes, and if you are paying for medical bills too, contact the financial dept at the hospital/Dr ofc and ask if there is financial help available since you're in a time of hardship.

    Answer by matobe at 12:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

  • Have you filed for child support?

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.