Jesus didn't condemn anybody...or did He?

There've been some debates lately about hell and I've seen comments made about Jesus being loving and kind and, because that's His nature, He wouldn't send anybody to hell. Don't get me wrong; Jesus IS loving and kind BUT He did indeed condemn some people for their sin. In Matthew 23 He called the religious leaders "hypocrites" seven times. He told them that they were "blind fools," children of hell, full of hypocrisy and sin. He climaxed His sermon by saying, "You serpents, you generation of vipers, how shall you escape the damnation of hell?" (v. 33). He then warned that He would say to the wicked, "Depart from Me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels". (Matthew 25:41).

Thoughts?

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 1:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think that's plenty clear! Some want God to be a big squishy teddy bear that's going to great you at the pearly gates with hot cocoa and graham crackers. You will be judged, on what criteria and life experiences you've had, I don't know if he's got these hard and fast rules that aren't going to change no matter how much you wiggle your ass.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Just thought I would add a bit for you op Matthew 10: 34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes, the only judgments he made were against those who were legalistic and dogmatic. And I don't believe it has anything to do with hell, just how much these kinds of people miss the point - the heart - of the message. It's not about being good enough or right enough, it's about the love and the deeper meaning.

And it all comes down to whether one takes what he says literally or metaphorically/allegorically. I think the stronger language is meant to show how strong his opinions were against those who used their faiths to put down others, or who were legalistic, dogmatic, those who lacked the understanding of the heart of the message, of that deeper meaning. It's not about the external issues, the legalities, it's about the heart, the love behind one's faith. I think we have to consider these instances in light of the rest of his ministry, not in a way that is contradictory to it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• And I think it's funny that there are Christians today who fall into the same habits of being legalistic, exclusionary, dogmatic, etc. I think he would have much the same things to say to them as he said to the "religious elite' of his own day.

And it's not so much about being a hypocrite, in terms of saying one thing and doing another. It was the lack of love in their hearts and in their faith. He showed over and over again that the heart of the message IS love, that actions should be done IN love, that faith is all about love - loving God and loving neighbor - and those attitudes (exclusion, dogmatism, legalism, etc) aren't compatible with the love he came to nourish in the people of his time. He wasn't teaching a new message, he was trying to bring back the heart of the old one. And hell is something that isn't really an aspect of Judaism, from what I understand most Jews don't believe in it, so I believe he didn't either.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I dont think the Jesus was condemning anyone IMO i feel that he was speaking to the demons in the people. Jesus was mans Saviour. Those people who persecuted Jesus had let the demons take over or were demons themselves in the flesh. Satan has infinite tricks to lead people away from God. I feel that there are demons around us all the time..some that we never would have though, people that we perceive as human, but are really Satans minions in flesh form.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I dont feel that Jesus condemned because i believe God is the only one who can judge us, Jesus is the Lamb of God
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 2:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Good post. Jesus did a lot of correcting/chastising during his ministry, but it seems a lot of people tend to skip over those parts.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 8:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Jesus is God, he will condemn those who do not believe, he will also forgive those who repent and ask forgiveness.
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 12:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thank you for this post... popzaroo .
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 12:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• lol, I think its more of a sign of Jesus's personhood...and lack of divinity, speaking to a specific time and place and culture, and too many people spend too much time arguing over what they think it means to them today without keeping that in mind.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011