BETTA FISH HELP!

ok, about 2 months ago i went into petco to buy fish food for my goldfish and cory catfish. I got into a conversation with an employee there in front of those awful shelves with all the betta fish in the plastic cups. As this lady was talking to me i noticed this tiny female betta with out an eye. I quickly became sympathetic towards it and took it home that night. She is now very healthy and happy in her 2 gallon bowl.Do to her having only one eye i had to train her to come to my finger when i touch the top of the surface.. now she sees me and meets me there waiting to be fed. Long story short i LOVE her veery very much but having limited space and with the fish in the other tank she is confined into this bowl (which she seems to be perfectly happy with) my question is is there anything specific i should go buy to make her bowl a better place to live? she has gravel, a plant and a budda :) she is one inch long (tiny)

thisunderwood

Asked by thisunderwood at 2:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pets

• I had many aquariums (fresh and salt water) over the years. I always put a betta in with all the other fish. The only time I ever had a problem was when I bought angel fish. Darn things should have been called devil fish! As long as you only have one, you should have no problem adding yours to your tank. She'll have a lot more space to enjoy, other fish for company, and she should get along just fine. She also won't have to deal with near as much stress from having the water changed all the time in her bowl.

If you do want to keep her in just the bowl, get live plants instead of plastic. One to plant in the gravel, and something that floats too ~ they like the floaters to 'rest' in near the surface, and those plants release extra oxygen into the water.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Bettas don't need a lot of space. I've seen people keep a plant in the betta's bowl. I personally had just put a gravel in our Betta's bowl. It's funny how these fish recognize you and get used to you. Ous was so playful every time it saw us. One thing though, ours died because it had jumped out of the bowl and by the time we found him (for the 3rd time) it died. So make sure you put some type of a cover or something. Maybe that's why people put those water plants on top of their bowls!
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• my younger sister has a beta in a small bowl. and it has never once complained. :)
    pandanpumkin

Answer by pandanpumkin at 2:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I used to have two betta fish, my brother had two as well. We got the betta tank which was maybe double the size of the cup they come in. They don't need lots of space at all. The problem we faced was because we only got males, the 4 males would try to fight eachother. One male jumped into the other bowl and killed one betta, two kept charging the glass at eachother and died on impact... and the last one lived for a while longer until it decided to jump out of the tank when we forgot to put the lid back on. I was told the females are calmer though. We had a plant for a short while but it became difficult to clean so we just kept it out. The fish were so set on getting eachother it didn't matter what we put in there!!!
    BTW that is a cute story and I'm glad yours is living longer than ours did!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Betta's are actually very low maintenance fish. They do better in small bowls. Do you have a heater? They like the water to be warmer.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Just be careful with the plant, I had one get tangled in a plant and die, also watch out for the gravel,the bigger oval marbles are better, I had one get a piece of gravel stuck in its mouth!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Sounds like you have a great environment for your Betta! I had one, he lived for 3 years, which is a pretty long life-span for a fish! I kept him in a globe tank (couple gal.), he just had rocks on bottom and a little tree and a green glass round thing -(he liked to hide behind)! My betta let me pat him too! Sounds like you're all set!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 4, 2011