Say NO to Santa

Me and DH are very devout Born Again Christians and IMO i am against teaching my son about santa or the easter bunny. My family thinks i am robbing him of his child hood. I feel that he needs to celebrate Christmas for what it is. Christ's birthday and Easter for the resurrection of the Lord. We still have traditions, on Christmas he still gets presents but he knows that they are from mommy and daddy except for 3 they come each of the 3 wise men. I also have him pick grass and leave it with some water under the tree for the wise men's camels. And for easter we only teach him about the resurrection of the Lord. NO easter bunny and NO candy. I have him decorate popsicle stick that we glue into a cross and we put a picture of Jesus in the middle. then on Easter Sunday we take the picture of Jesus off the cross and tape it to a balloon and let it fly up into the sky. IMO Santa and the Easter Bunny are evil and are ment to sway children away from the teaching of the Lord. Just some food for thought if you move the letter 'N' in SANTA CLAUSE to the back of the word santa it turns into SATAN CLAUSE (Satan's agreement) and santa is a guy dressed all in red and covered with soot you sit on his lap and tell him what you want and you get it...It seems a little Too subliminal to me. My mother still thinks that i do not celebrate either of these holidays no matter how many times i try to explain it to her. And DH family thinks that my son will be picked on in school because he dosent follow popular tradition. But this is the way me and DH have decided to raise our son and frankly can care less about what the family thinks. Let me know your traditions for the holidays or some feedback..

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 2:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't have quite the aversion to Santa that you do, but I have no issues with your decision to celebrate these two high holy holidays in that way. We teach our kids the real reason for both holidays and they know that Santa and the Easter Bunny are not real. DD is almost seven and likes to pretend that Santa is real, even though she has always known the truth. We are not rich, so there is no danger of going too far overboard and emphasizing presents too much. I think it is wrong for people to confront you on this, as it is your decision as the parents.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Santa has nothing to do with Satan, an concept that ONLY exists to Christians. Santa is directly derived from my religion, Heathenry, and our winter celebration, Yule, a personification of the god, Odin. You go right ahead and say no to Santa, he doesn't go with your religion anyway. He goes with mine, and I'm not about to stop the tradition because it was always ours to begin with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Hey, it's your kid, raise him/her however you want BUT why do you have the kid crucifying Jesus?

Also, releasing balloons into the air is bad. It not only harms the environment, it is deadly for birds and other animals.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Too be Honest All I saw Blah, Blah, Blah. You do what you think is right, as long as you explain to your child that there those who do believe. For some Kids it's all they have. Some to need to believe in the Magic of the season. It's the only time they see good in their lives.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Sorry but in some of your questions you come off sounding arrogant, and better then others. This is one of them.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Hmmm. How you raise your child is your business and your family needs to repect your wishes. I am Christian. We did the "Santa thing" with my first child. He's all grown up now, but I have a new LO and we'll probably do the same thing with him. We do the Tooth Fairy thing too. We don't do the Easter Bunny thing. I taught my son the real meaning of the holidays right from the beginning, BUT I still let him enjoy the fun traditions as well. He also went trick-or-treating as did I when I was little. Does that mean we love the devil? You compare Santa with Satan. Do you think Satan is red and covered with soot? Telling kids there's a Santa when there isn't is lying I suppose, but telling your son that 3 of his gifts came from 3 wise men is ALSO lying. Putting out grass for camels that aren't coming is lying too. See what I mean? If you want to keep it black n white, then you should do it 100%, imo.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have read a few of your questions and answers here and all I can say is that although I feel like you have the right to practice as you see fit- it seems like you focus more on what you can not do or what you do not like- I feel like faith should be about what you can do, what you will do and what you want to do rather than looking for the "sin" of others and harping on it ;)
    I guess I am saying- lighten up a little and enjoy life -there is more good than not in the world and life is to be lived ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ooohhhh holy isis...
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• So I'm confused. It's okay to have him think the wise men come and bring him gifts but not Santa? Um . . . okay.
    I am a Christian and my kids know the reason we celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc. but we also do the more secular "fun" stuff. I don't think as Christians we have to miss out on having fun with our kids - my 9, 11, and 13 yo know that Santa isn't real now but it's still so much fun for the little ones. My church (Southern Baptist - so it's not like we're liberal!) even has an Easter Egg Hunt! We have religious traditions we do as well as secular ones, but we don't trade out one for the other - I think we can have both!

Answer by missanc at 5:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• BTW, did you know the 3 wise men were astrologers? You're teaching your kids that Jeanne Dixon is bringing them presents.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011