What do you think this obsessive behavior could lead to?

Our niece is 14 and is obsessed with a lot of things like Justin bieber. She has 60 posters all over the walls of her room even shirts, dolls, life size cut out, and more. She refuses to go to school without flat ironing her hair (it is already straight naturally she just doesn't want it frizzy) Her food cannot touch each other on the plate or she wont eat it. She over cleans her face with Sea breeze daily which I heard can dry out your face if you use it often. She is also very snotty about thinking she is too good to go to flea markets or places that sell used things. Her dad asked if she would go with him to the flea market and she told him "EW that place is gross and dirty!" (they are not rich but she thinks they are) My BIL and his wife don't make a big deal about it. Do you think it will get worse when she is an adult or will she grow out of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have to agree with some of the other posters on here; she does seem to be like a normal teen simply being picky. Though some of her behaviors seem to show a possible OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) issue in the making (the having to wash her face and flat ironing her hair.. So I would have her parents keep an eye on that. Then again it could simply be her concern over looking good and fitting in. Good Luck!
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 2:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• She sounds like she is discovering herself and is a little obessed with being clean. All the young girls are obsessed with Justin Beiber. Sounds like her parents are feeding into or she would have all the Beiber stuff. Just stand back and see what happens. Sounds like a normal kid.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 2:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Oh, teenagers . . . . aye, aye, aye. She'll likely grow out of it. Life will hit her when she leaves the nest, and reality will set in.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• butt out ?? she was just asking a simple question .. it sounds like a teen just being a teen- when i was a teen i knew girls like that, they just have stupid pride thats all. i was like that at 13 but not like your niece though.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• some of those things are bordering on obsessive compulsive I would say but like the previous poster said she is just a teen and will likely grow out of at least some of it
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 2:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• eye rolling

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• She sounds like me as a teen, seems fairly normal to me. To this day my food can't touch each other, my youngest is the same way. There is nothing wrong with being clean and wanting to be clean, I wouldn't be worried about that, some people can't get their kids to take showers. When I was a teen I didn't want to be caught at a flea market, or swap meet or garage sale.
    If her parents aren't worried I don't think I'd be too worried. Its normal to be concerned about our family but honestly she sounds pretty normal to me.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• She isn't your kid... butt out. She sounds like many typical teens. Most of the time they have some kind of wake up call that shows them they are not the center of the universe and they grow up to be normal, responsible adults. Give it time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011