Baptize or Not to Baptize

IMO i do not think that children should be baptized. In the Bible when John the Baptist and Jesus were baptizing in the Jordan, the were baptizing adults. I feel that baptism is to ask the Holy Spirit to descend unto you and wash away your sins and prepare you and give you the strength to walk in the way of the Lord. To me children are pure and innocent and have no sin. So how can they wash their sin away? DH is catholic and have given me a lot of grief about not baptizing DS. I have explained our decision to them but they still dont agree. I have no problem with placing a hand on them and blessing them but i feel that baptism should be DS's own decision when he is ready. Lets debate CM

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 2:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• i agree with u 100 %. i know some religions dedicate their babies- now that makes more sense.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My dh and his family are Lutheran. They believe that you are baptized as babies. I believe that you need to be old enough to choose for yourself and to understand what it is before you are baptized. What we did was to show respect to both beliefs. We had our kids baptized as babies, they viewed it as being baptized, I view it as they were blessed and as basically a baby dedication. Then, later when they were older, they were given the option of being baptized again (in keeping with how I believe), and my inlaws basically just view it as a different form of confirmation, only with water...

I hope this isn't viewed as offensive to anyone, it really wasn't quite as flippant as this might make it sound.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I agree with you. I don't know if you've ever watched Sex In The City, but there was an episode where Steve wanted to get their baby baptized and Miranda said she didn't believe in it. Steve said, "If you don't believe in it, then it's just water on the kid's head". I think that's a good way to look at it actually. If it were me, I'd do it and make my husband happy. I mean, what's the harm? Then as the child got older, I'd explain the meaning of baptism and let him decide if he'd like to be baptized again.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Oh, but one thing that's important to note - this wasn't done just to make the grandparents happy. My dh believes in baptism as a baby, and I do not. If we both believed the same way about this, then we would have done what it was we both believed in (whether it was baptism as a baby or not), and our families - whether they agreed or not - would just have to live with it / accept it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• In the Catholic church infant baptism is a sacrament. In most other denomonations it's seen as symbolic, after salvation. In Catholic baptism is a sacrament that bestows grace
    The first people baptized were obviously adults, because it was a word of mouth, spontaneous thing. He may or may not have included babies in that.
    This from the new Advent site:
    Acts 2:38 He does not yet say, Believe, but, "Be baptized every one of you." For this they received in baptism. Then he speaks of the gain; "For the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." If you are to receive a gift, if baptism conveys remission, why delay? He next gives a persuasive turn to his address, adding, "For the promise is unto you" Acts 2:39: for he had spoken of a promise above. "And to your children," he says: the gift is greater, when these are to be heirs of the blessings. "And to all," he continues, "that are afar off:" if to
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• if to those that are afar off, much more to you that are near: "even as many as the Lord our God shall call." Observe the time he takes for saying, "To those that are afar off." It is when he finds them conciliated and self-accusing. For when the soul pronounces sentence against itself, no longer can it feel envy. "And with many other words did he testify, and exhort, saying."
    adnilm

• If you look back a few decades, the Catholic Church taught that unbaptized babies would not go to heaven because no child is born sinless. With higher infant/child death rates in earlier times, it is not hard to see why so many people felt they had to have their children baptized. Old traditions are hard to break, especially in a religion well known for its rituals. Part of the ceremony is the parents and godparents pledging to raise their child in the church as well.

I'm sorry your DH's family is being so resistant about it, but it might help if you understand better where they are coming from.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I agree with having them decide when they are adults. Our church doesn't baptize babies they only do a dedication and pray for them.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Agree100% my fam is catholic and r upset I havn't. But I believe when they r older they make that choice.
    Blakesgirl31

Answer by Blakesgirl31 at 3:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I see baptism as a symbol and I don't think it matters if its done when someone is an infant or an adult - when a child is baptized they go through confirmation when they're older, anyway.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2011