Ugh

My DH and I are always fighting about religion. He thinks god and everything is tons of crap and he can explain everything by science. Sometimes it frustrates me because I bought an illustrated bible for our kids and he always almost flips a table over it. It's just a few stories taken from the bible put in simple words and illustrated. I find it has very beautiful pictures and beautiful stories. Come on seriously, it's just stories for kids....

marinebrats

Asked by marinebrats at 3:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• If he doesnt want to discuss religion with you thats fine, but to get all worked up about a childrens book. that redonkulous (shreck 4). IMO you need to have a talk with him. Those are your children too and as their mother if you want to educate the about God that is your right..He dosent have to agree with it and he has the right to educate them about his beliefs but IMO i think that you need to set guidelines about what you think the children should learn. From one christian mommy to another kudos for educating about the Lord
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 3:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You guys need to have a talk about it being ok to expose your children to religious beliefs and sceientific ones, they are going to be living with you guys and be around it for a good many years so they may as well start early learning what mommy and daddy believe but without there being any pressure to believe one way or the other that decision should be left solely to the child when they are of age to make it
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 3:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• This was something you both should have discussed before hand. You need to find a common ground, or you are going to end up undermining each other or worse...
    My parents had a similar issue.. only, it was Daddy was protestant (kind of) and Mommy was Catholic... they could not find a common ground, ... my sister and I are now pagans. (not that it will go that way with your kiddos... just a scenario)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• He is showing contempt for your thoughts and beliefs and that isn't right or productive in a marriage.  People should be able to have different beliefs and still show love and respect for each other.  I'd tell him you don't appreciate the contempt he has for your beliefs but that you won't sink to that level, I'd ignore him after that.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• What MonkeyMommy said.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Get some books of kids mythology, classics, aesops fables, etc...and then the Bible doesn't stand out so much as a sore thumb, and you can use the excuse of raising culturally literate children.

We are Pagan, and we own a kid's Bible for that very reason.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You're right, the bible is just a book full of stories. Horror stories, not suitable for children, regardless of how watered down. If hollywood were to accurately depict biblical stories, they would be restricted for the gore factor alone... over 1/2 of them would have an x rating for scenes of sexual violence and ritual sexual torture.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thalassa is right, there's value in the liturature side for even athiests...so many western novels and films make biblical allusions, and allusions to mythology and fables. Keeping all these stories out of your home would leave your kids growing up ignorant of such a huge part of our culture.

My High School english teacher (an athiest herself) told me outside of class she could always tell which of her students grew up reading from the King James Bible because they had no issues with the same old english in the shakespear plays she taught. So don't be afraid of the old language versions of the stories; they'll help your kids.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 11:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would pay for him and never stop God is faithful and will bring him around to your beliefs just keep doing what you re doing continue reading bible stories to your children.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 11:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I agree with thalassa.
    We are atheist and I read my kids fables and from mythology books and we also talked about bible stories a bit too. I think it's about educating them in the fact that other people believe other things and that it's ok that they do.
    When I was growing up, I never knew anyone believed anything different from us- and it was a real eye opener when I started figuring it out
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2011