Can Quantum Physics of the soul be studied?

I've been watching the Science of the Soul on the History International channel. I found several of the segments interesting including work being down at a Virginia hospital on near death experiences. Also fMRI done on people in so called vegetative states was fascinating, when asked to imagine something their brains lit up like normal patients.

They also had Dr. Hameroff, an anesthesiologist who became interested in the science of consciousness because when patients are giving anesthesia for surgery, they have a very different experience from just going to sleep.  They don't feel pain, they don't dream, and there is no sense of the passage of time.  Dr Hameroff decided to look at where people go when they are sedated.  I find his theory of microtubules in the brain and consciousness interesting. 

Dr Hammeroff

Coolunknown.com

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 6:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I know what you're talking about OP. The science channel just did a "Through the Wormhole" about life after death...sounds identical to the thing you watched.

The microtubules thing was incredibly interesting and pretty well matched my own personal beliefes so i latched on accordingly. I've been telling everyone i know about it...my boss, my co-workers, the parents at my group last night...i'm sure it's catapulted me to a whole new level of dork-dom but i don't care...it's so freaking cool.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Anything can be studied if science would open its mind and stop calling these things "paranormal". If we paid attention to them and figured them out, they'd be normal!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I totally agree metal. We only call things miracles, or paranormal, when we don't know how it works. To the worker of the miracle (whether you believe it's a god or an undiscovered law of nature) it's all very normal stuff.

Go back a few hundred years, and humans flying was the stuff of fairy tales, now it's a completely normal form of transportation for thousands of people.

This tells me the stuff of fairy tales is worth studying.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 10:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't know enough about the subject to really give you an educated answer. However, I would tend to classify the study of the soul as Metaphysics, not Quantum.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

Answer by SabrinaMBowen 3 hours ago

You've got to look into it...you'll be amazed. It's absolutely quantum physics...no if's, and's or but's. If you have OnDemand you can catch it on the Science Channel from the series Through the Wormhole. It's so cool you'll die.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think I saw that one a few weeks ago. The segment on QP was interesting, but there were other aspects brought up with as much merit (I wouldn't weigh them all equally). I do think it can be studied, but I think the largest problem would be the initial development of assigning values to each factor. There will be a lot of hypotheses that go nowhere because it really is a new science starting from scratch. Tons of data, no idea how it relates.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You've got to look into it...you'll be amazed. It's absolutely quantum physics...no if's, and's or but's. If you have OnDemand you can catch it on the Science Channel from the series Through the Wormhole. It's so cool you'll die.

It will go on the list, but honestly that list just keeps growing since for some unknown reason the Gods only gave me 24 hours in a day - ya know... And no, I don't have OnDemand, I don't have cable... I'll have to see if I can find it online though. Really it's my hubs that gets in to all that stuff though, not me. I've never been a real fan of Physics for some reason - Metaphysics, yes, actual Physics, no... Go figure.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• They don't have full episodes online, but it looks like the segment Ryan's is talking about is in the clips they do have up:

http://science.discovery.com/videos/through-the-wormhole/

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You should check out the documentary : "What the bleep do we know", one of the best things I've ever seen on this subject or check out Zeitgeist: The Movie - it's ONLINE!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I love anything Quantum Physics.. even some Christian speakers talk about it. God created this so it is only natural that we would be curious about how it all works.
    I have 4 cd/dvd sets on Quantum Physics, the Prophetic and Sound. It has blown my mind how it all works. This is really for Christians because those who do not believe may not fully understand but hey I'd be curious in their view for sure. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011