When Another Parent Disciplines Your Child?

What is your reaction? I know when my children are at their house and I am not there also then that is different but I am saying when I am right there.

At one time or another, most moms have been in a situation, whether at a park, preschool picnic or in your own backyard, when another kid is pushing and shoving your child or behaving so badly that you feel compelled to say or do something. Instead, you bite your tongue and hope the aggressor's mom will race to the rescue.

But what happens when the mom of your child's playmate doesn't feel compelled to keep her comments to herself and starts scolding your child, or tells your preschooler to take a time out?

Is it okay for someone else to discipline your child? Should you sit silent and let it happen?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is usually the last time they do it. My son was playing with some other kids his age climbing a fence while my dd had softball practice and this woman yelled at my son and only at my son even though there were other kids there. I was standing right there. I said something loudly so she heard me, went to the director of the softball league and issued a complaint. The next time I saw her I was very loud around the other moms about how she was the one who thought she could discipline other peoples kids and next year no one should put their dd on her team. I am a bitch that way.

Answer by gemgem at 7:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I personally don't have a problem with someone correcting my child. I don't want someone to yell at them or certainly not hit them, but telling them no hitting, or wait your turn. Something along those lines. I would never want my kids to be one of those "you aren't my mom you can't tell me what to do" kids.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I prefer to point out the behavior to the child's mother and ask her to deal with it, but have no problem telling them to back off of my child if she doesn't. That said, no I don't sit silently if someone that I don't know well enough (family, etc) takes it upon themselves to correct my child, I tell them, that I'm the parent and will handle the situation.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• For eons women have been raising thier children in groups and disciplining each others kids as needed. We are by design pack animals and from that society and culture has grown. In today's society 50% of families are blended and the child more than likely has a step mom too. I think it's actually a benefit to the child to see that rules are universal. As long as the woman punishing my child does it for the right reasons and without aggression I'm all for it! I fully believe that 'it takes a village'. I do not get offended by the other person or feel that they are usurping my power. Instead I am grateful and see it as the other person backing me up and being supportive.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• situational dependent...
    I tend to find that parent's don't discipline bad behavior at parks and if your child is pushing mine or hurting my child I will tell that child to move away or remove my kiddo.. if I know who the parent is I will also make mention that your son/daughter is pushing kids over there.. etc.

Now, reprimand my daughter -- I am usually right there and will tell you I got itl... no, I don't like it and sometimes I don't agree - if your kid pushes mine and mine pushes back.. well then that's them sorting it out - as long as no one gets hurt.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 7:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2011