Should moms let their children see them cry?

my boys have seen me cry a few times but I was wondering if you feel it is OK for children to see their parents cry?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine know when I have been crying but I dont always allow them to know it. It also is age dependent. For instance my 6 yr old has never seen me cry because she is too young to understand why mom might be crying. I am her protector so I dont want her to worry. My teens on the other hand have seen me break down.

Answer by gemgem at 7:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• yes, I think it is good for kids to understand that parents have emotions too and emotions should not be hidden from kids. I think it makes them understand that we all feel things deeply. Last summer we had to put my cat to sleep that we have had for 15 years, I was a crying, hysterical mess and my kids understood and tried to comfort me. I think it helped them understand empathy.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes it is ok to let them see you cry. It shows them you don't have to be strong all the time. Especially for boys. You want them to be able to express themselves. That is just my honest opinion.
    pregers2011

Answer by pregers2011 at 6:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes, unless we want to create emotionless robots.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes, they need to know that Moms have feelings. And if you have a little boy, he should know its okay to cry.
    Then maybe they'll remember you have feelings when they become teenagers. (Yep, in a house with one teen & two tweens)
    Anyhow, my kids saw me cry and they'd comfort me - then id feel bad for upsetting them. But I still think its okay, they learn its okay to sad and that you should take care of each other.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• yes they should. Kids need to know that life is not always happy-go-lucky
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think it's very important for our kids to see us cry. It is a good and positive way to express sadness and frustration. Anger is a second hand emotion. Meaning it comes from another emotion like sadness or frustration. I think it's imperative to show my kids how to deal with the primary emotion so they don't have to resort to the secondary emotion, anger.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2011