What do people think about pre-school?

I am just asking a generalized question my son will be going this year I think it is a good idea but some people think it is a waste of time and just start them in kindergarten. My oldest son went and loved it and it helped him prepare for being away from me during the day time and we will be doing the same with our youngest.

I was wondering what people think about pre-school? Do kids need it to get ready for kindergarten or is it best to stay home with mom until kindergarten? Do kids get bored at home and need pre-school to enrich their environment? What age is best to go, some start at age 3? What does everyone think?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All three of mine went to pre schools. Its not just the learning but being around other kids. I still tought them at home and they loved learning new things. Its so neat when we're shopping in town & run into one of their pre school teachers. They are 17, 12 & 10 now.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• my son will be starting pre-school in the fall he is 3. i think it can only help children to gain social skills and fundamentals of learning. my question would be why wouldn't you send your child?
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• DH's family keeps pushing me to put DS into pre-pre school (the one that starts at 3 years) i think it does have its bennefits because it gets them ready for real school so the separation anxiety will be less and they do teach them things...but nothing that they shouldnt be learning at home anyway. I am not against it but i dont feel the need to pay out of pocket when i can just teach him at home until he legally has to be in school.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 7:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think it is something you should do if you want your child to be ahead academically and not fall behind.

Answer by gemgem at 7:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It was great for my children. They only went 3 days a week for 2 hours a day. They had discipline from other adults, and made friends on top of learning. It was an easier transition going into kindergarten.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what anyone says. It's up to you, and their opinions mean nothing.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think if you as any kindergarten teacher which kids went to preschool and which ones didn't, they can tell you on the first day of school. With the pressures of kids being "ready" for kindergarten I think it is vital for a child to know how to function in a structured classroom setting and listen to an adult other than their parent.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think it depends on the child and family. My first child had no friends his age, and was very lonely. We couldn't seem to meet anyone with a boy his age. He loved preschool. It was perfect for him.

My second could have gone either way with it.

My third, really is curious and active, and if she was an only child, I coiuld probably keep her entertained, but with all the other stuff going on (2 other kids occasionally doing what they want, plus we are often all stuck home sick since I had 2 kids start 2 schools, and we were all sick all year), she gets bored and into trouble.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think it's a waste of time and completely unneeded! My kids are home full time til they start real school! I can teach them everything Pre-K can teach much better! Plus, most schools offer Pre-K of some kind to make sure they are ready for real Kindergarten.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2011