I got frustrated with my 2 year old son and squeezed his neck...i feel sooo bad i keep apologizing and giving him extra love...am i a bad mom? adult content

javan2009

Asked by javan2009 at 7:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• That's a slippery slope. It might be time to get some counseling for stress management.
    Queenie_Mab

Answer by Queenie_Mab at 7:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Squeezed like choked? I would make sure I got a break and find someone to talk to.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think that is definitely over the line. It's ok to spank or slap a child on the hand. I even think it's ok to grab a child by the neck or pull thier hair if your, say pulling them from oncoming traffic; but what your describing was aggression taken out on a child. Never punish a child physically when you are angry. Kids aren't punching bags. I'm not trying to berate you. I'm just trying to show you where the line is at between punishment and abuse. I think you should seek counseling and maybe anger management. Just remember, time out is time out for mommy too. I often send my kids to time out or (the older one) to his room until I cool down a bit.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 7:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• What !!!!!! extra love doesn't regain trust and if you are in fact choking or as you put it squeezing your 2 year olds neck then you should get some space and seek counseling take the child to your mom and get some help before you do something more damaging....

traren

Answer by traren at 7:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• YES YOU ARE!! SQUEEZING THE NECK.. YOUR CHILD NEEDS TO BE TAKEN AWAY.. GEES!! YOU COULD OF AT LEAST SQUEEZED HIS ARM OR SOMETHING BUT THE NECK.. GOOD JOB JOKING YOUR CHILD.. HOPE SOMEONE CALLS DCF ON YOU BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING HORRIABLE TO HIM!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• ****CHOKING.. NOT JOKING***
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I just wanted to add... One mistake does not make you a bad parent. What you do to learn from or fix the mistake is what makes you good or bad. Doing nothing will doom you to repeat your mistake and that will make you a bad mom.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 7:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Believe me i understand about just loosing it. I dont think you are a bad mother at all..everyone has their breaking point and sometimes we go overboard. i dont think you need counseling or anger management. It might help to talk to another mom about your frustrations. If you find yourself reaching that breaking point often then maybe counseling might be something to think about. i have completely lost it 2 times in DS 4 years where i have gone overboard and felt like a horrible monster. the first was when he was about 2. he just wouldnt go to sleep and i had to go to work. it was like 5 am and i had to be at work at 9. i had spanked him several times on the butt and he just wouldnt go to sleep..thats when i lost it..i hit him really hard on the leg theat left a hand print and pinned his arms down and screamed at him. DH stepped in and had me go take a breather i felt so bad. he didnt want to come near me for about 2 days.CONT
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 7:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• wow that's out of line. sounds like you need anger management classes. get help before it's too late. I know 2 year olds are hard and we all have our moments, but this is too much
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• the last time was a few months ago..he was being so bad..yelling at me throwing toys hitting me..i felt like i was yelling at him and punishing him all day. I made him hot dogs for lunch and made him eat it in his room because he was being so bad. He came out and yelled at me that he didnt want hot dogs and threw them all over the floor. i spanked him and told him to pick them up. he screamed no and hit me again. thats when i lost it. i i laid him over my knee and smacked his bottom a good 6 or 7 times and left a pretty good welt mark, then i grabbed his fingers and forced him to pick up the mess. after i cooled down i felt horrible. I explained what happened to him and said that i was sorry but he didnt come near me the whole rest of the day..he didnt misbehave any more either. Its stressful being a parent and sometimes we loose our cool. its not intentional but it happens. I dont think your a bad mother
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 7:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2011