baby ear piercing?

my daughter is 6 months old and i was thinking of getting her ears pierced. my mom got mine and my sisters pierced when we were 6 months old but my mother in law said absoutley not?

sarrrr13

Asked by sarrrr13 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's an appropriate age. 3 months is the earliest a jeweler will pierce. If you feel uncomfortable taking your baby to the local mall many pediatricians' offices pierce ears. My sister had her daughter's pierced by her pediatrician and she's never had an infection. I think she was about 4 months, but I'm not sure.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm against it. I don't think it's my decision to make. That said, if you DO decide to do it, please please please go to a licensed piercer that uses sterilized NEEDLES rather then someone at the mall or wherever that uses GUNS.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• your the mom, you know whats best.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Mine were pierced before I left the hospital (as were my sister's), and the in-law opinion is tough but thats something you should discuss with your DH, after all that is his mom....
    PcolaC

Answer by PcolaC at 2:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If you want to do it then do it. I've done both my girls when they were 5 months. When I did my first daughter's I wanted to know what it would feel like for her as I had had mine pierced as a child and when they filled in I went and had them done with needles. They don't use the thick studs they used when we were kids, so it stings a lot less and the pain does not throb like it used to with the thick studs. So yes they were done with the guns but they have a fresh sterilized part that they clip into the gun and when it's used it goes in the garbage, also not like they used to do.
    I've asked my 3 yr old if she remember's having her ears pierced and she says no, but she does love having them pierced!
    I almost passed out having my ears done with a needle and I'm not afraid of needles or anything.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• its a good idea and dont listen to your mother inlaw she is not ur boss or your babys mom!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• IMO that is a choice the child should make...if she wants her ears pierced she will eventually ask to have it done. She is not a dress up toy for you to make these decissions for her.
    Anonymous

• I let my children make that choice, they aren't my ears. My daughters were 5 and 6 years old when they got them done.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It's your baby, your decision. Don't mind what your in-law's say, especially for such a minor issue like ear piercing. Personally, I will wait until my daughter says, "mommy, i want my ears pierced"
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I want to get my daughters done, but I just haven't gotten around to it. When I get hers done, I'm going to get second holes in my ears. I have always wanted them, but never got it done. So we will do it together.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008