My 7 year old has breasts and hates tight clothing - besides buying a bra, what else can I do? I've tried to eliminate soy products from her diet and we are attempting to get more exercise - but in the meantime, they are there and people are being cruel about it (other moms especially!)

As a baby she had milk allergies including breast milk so she was on soy-based formulas. She is has a belly but not obese - generally she is a size above her age (right now as a 7 yr old she wears an 7/8 or 8 ). She is active with swimming, soccer and walking the dog - not a lazy girl at all.
Other things I've noticed -whether its relavant or not - she is rapidly (drop of a hat) emotional and physically sensitive - brushing hair sets her off as does having trouble removing clothing.
She will not wear a bra - or tight tank top - maybe because they are hard for her to get off and on.
Thankfully she doesn't have an issue with the boobs and is not ashamed of them - but I fear it will be coming soon! A few mom 'friends' have already mentioned it to me, so its only a matter of time before it reaches her.

Need advise from all areas - how to handle the impending cruelty - diet changes - clothing strageties - I'm open to anything that could help.

DDKmom2

Asked by DDKmom2 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like puberty is hitting her early. Doubt there is anything to stop it. I would work harder with her and help her with the bra, and then try to accommodate her with not buying tight clothing. I had DDs by age 10, so I can sympathize with her, but there was no stopping it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I feel for her,as I hate bras and tight tanks also. I wear a mens vest undershirt for just that reason. Big neck, big arm holes easy to get on off. Also they're cooler as they collect the sweat, under other clothes.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• What about a tight sports bra to help make them less noticeable?
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 8:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• sports bra it would be easier to pull off and on my 10 year old loved them when she started developing around 8. and the size 7/8 is pretty normal for your daughters age. my oldest daughter is just now going into a 14 and she is ten but it is because she is so tall.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Nothing you can do about the growth and I'd go with the sports bra type bra and start encouraging your daughter to have a good view of her body.
    Sounds like she will need a bit of help learning to not let other peoples stupid bother her
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• A sports bra or a camisole top - they are relatively easy to get into and they're not expensive. Unfortunately it's one of those things that no one can stop - we have to adapt! My DD is 9 and is having the mood swings, etc...I started my period when I was 10 so am fully expecting her to follow in my footsteps. She, on the other hand, likes tight shirts (which just irks me to no end) and will wear sports bras and camisoles. Maybe you and your DD can make a "date" to go to the store and show her the options she has and then go to lunch or something - kind of make it all about her, ya know? I'm a little disturbed by your comment that other mothers are being cruel about this...that is uncalled for.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 9:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You need to talk to your pediatrician asap about this.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011