How do I get my 12 week old to fall asleep on his own?

I want to ask this again because last night was horrible. He still falls asleep in my arms. I have tried putting him down with a full belly, I tried a music/lights soother, I have tried staying in the room with him, I have tried the noises of a ticking clock and a humidifier. He is content for only a matter of minutes, before he screams. I have tried seeing if he will just fall asleep, but he gets madder and madder, no matter how tired he is. Sometimes he can even be dead asleep and when I put him down he will wake up. What else can I do or is this normal at this age? Last night he did not go to sleep until 12:30, this was after 30 minutes of crying and 4 times taking him out of his crib - i tried to put him down at 8:30! He woke up at 4:30 for a bottle and did not go back to sleep until 6:15!

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 2:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hes still pretty little but it sounds like maybe you held him lots and lots at the begiining and now its just comforting to him we all do it dont worry. Just keep trying to put him down to sooth himself to sleep it will take some time but he will get there.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• How long is too long to let him cry? More than the 30 minutes that I tried last night?
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 2:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My son is almost 4 months old and now that he has "found" his fingers he sucks on them all the time and it soothes him right to sleep. He now sleeps 8-10 hours at night. I've heard this is true with a lot of babies. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I was watching the Doctors the other day and they said don't let them cry longer than 10 minutes because it decreases the amount of oxygen that gets to the brain.
    Anonymous

• I have done the same with all 3 of my kids and it's worked. I do my own version of the Ferber method. Start with a routine you can do every night with your baby. It dosen't have to be elaborate. With my baby I lay in my bed with her and feed her and then put her into her crib when she's done. When we first started doing this almost 2 months ago she screamed! She has quite the temper! I'd go into comfort her, not picking her up and turn her mobile back on. Each night I'd take longer to go back in. Now she'll cry for maybe a minute if at all and she is now learning that she goes to her bed every night. The schedule helps her know what to expect and what she is expected to do.
    Hope you find a way for your little man to get to sleep.
    A book you might want to read is the no cry sleep solution. Sorry I can't rememeber the author's name. It didn't work for us but it was a good book, maybe it could work for you.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yes he is little but can be a bit spoiled or attached to you. Just because he is little does not mean he does not know what he likes. I would try the cry it out method..or you will be sleeping with him for a loooong time. Go in and comfort and check on him but don't pick him up..it may be rough a night or two but he will learn you will not come running everytime he screams. Don't go in right away and keep going in later and later...he will learn to self soothe eventually. Start now or you are in for disaster.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• you can try certain things.. you should get a cd or something. We used one for the baby and it works wonders. They find the sound of hairdryer, running water, vacum cleaner soothing.. try putting those sounds on and putting the baby to sleep. I have a homedics sleepy time toy at home.. it's nusic and lights..(not sure which one you have).. my daughter finds that soothing even now.. she's 12 months old.. and we put it on and right away she starts to close her eyes..
    good luck..
    you can also try to purchase the tracks online and burn a cd and leave it running all night.. (hope that helps)
    simran4god

Answer by simran4god at 3:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Sounds like a good candidate for the Magic Sleepsuit found at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous

• my mil and i had to make a pillow that was shaped like an arm holding my son he was held ALOT as a newborn and the result was he wanted to sleep in our arms he now falls asleep on his own hes almost two , we used the pillow on him for about a month and slowly switched it out to some blanket that was also crocheted he changed so fast we didn't know what to do

i wouldn't know what to do if i had to hold him to fall asleep he's such a great napper

and yes i still use our home made pillow on him when hes sick teething, or grumpy he loves that pillow

rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008