Is it safe for baby?

Everyone has told me time and time again to not use adult lotion, shampoo, and soap products on my 4 month old daughter. So, my question is...Why not?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• I did use adult soap and lotion and it was fine. My son's doctor said it was okay as well. But this is what can be used: soaps and lotions that do not contain harsh dyes, parfumes, and chemicals. By the way, some baby products are MORE harmful to a child (many popular brands) due to the ingridants in them. So I used Cetaphil to wash my son and Cetaphil lotion. It is also used on older skin with the elderly and on patients in the hospital to care for their fragile skin. Any shampoos, soaps, and lotions that say they are gentle, have no dyes, and parfumes (and means it) is safe to use. Just ask your child's doctor. Oh, and baby products are marketed for adults not for babies. So they smell stronger and are more expensive for a reason.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• becuz there skin is way more sensative then ours and it could cause there skin to dry out or get a rash.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• As long as you use products that have no dies or perfumes like Dove etc. you shouldn't have a problem.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 3:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• There skin is not as tough as ours and certain chemicals in adult lotions may irritate them, causing rashes, itching, or pain.
    Kimbermom40

Answer by Kimbermom40 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• As long as the product doesn't irritate their skin, it's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ivory soap has been used for generations, perfectly for babies. Your baby's skin might be just perfect, or he could have very sensitive skin. You won't know till you know. Adult shampoo can irritate the eyes, tho, so I would only use what is made for babies. As far as lotion, remember that the skin needs to breathe. When you coat the skin, the lotion goes into the pores and creates a barrier similar to a wet suit. When the body perspires, the moisture cannot evaporate, which then causes the white blood cells to lower. I did like my babies to smell nice, like little babies, so I took the pink lotion and rubbed it into my palms then patted the baby behind the ears, on the elbows and just lightly on the legs, but not rubbing it all over.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I just do because the baby stuff is tear free and why make them scream if you dont have too?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It has chemicals and metals in it (yes, metals such as mica) that can irritate their skin and be absorbed into their little bodies.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008