Is it normal for a high fever to last as long as 5 days?!

hi,, my 3 yrs boy started to complain from a sore throat last Monday,, i took him to the doctor right away as he woke with a little fever; back then his temperature was about 101.3 ,, the doctor prescribed a fever reduction syrup and told me to monitor him as he has a slight soreness in his throat,, the next day his temperature was getting high again and it started reaching 102.2 ,, i took him back to the doctor and he prescribed an antibiotic for the infection,, i started him on that right away,, Wednesday morning he woke with a very high fever, i gave him something to reduce it and rushed him to the doctor, his temperature then was about 104.3,, the doctor told me that it's a viral infection and i should keep giving him the antibiotic and the fever reduction medicines,, and to apply wet towels to try and reduce the fever;; sorry for all the details but now it's Friday ( fifth day) it's 5 pm here, and his fever is still rising up,, is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Health

• If his fever isn't gone in two more days I'd take him back to the doctor. Usually a virus last about 7 days.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• 5 days is not normal. I personally have a low-grade fever all the time and the doctors don't know why. Every time I go to the doctors, they take my temp and go "Oh my, you have a fever!" I'm like, "No, I'm always like this." It's crazy. BUT I'm 36, not 3 and would be concerned. Poor baby.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• emmyandlisa, not everyone has the same body temp. My body temp is always about 1 degree higher than the "average".
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Try over the Counter IBUPROFEN for children next time it is some what better at fighting fevers then acetaminophen or Tylenol. ( cheaper too) then paying for a doc ever other day, a slight fever of 101 is normal during the fight of a virus its the body's way of killing it. Also Fevers tend to spike at night. So a dose before bedtime is good idea. Ive learned all this as Medical assistant and as a single mother.
    Tonia S.

Answer by Tonia S. at 10:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011