This sucks how do you know the difference?

I have no idea if my pain is being caused by gas or contractions. i have no idea what the websites mean that ur stomach makes a fist it just feels hard in some places but thats where the baby is and i tried going to the bathroom and absolutly nothing not even gas so very frustrating because yeserday i had some diarreah in the morning this sucks if its gas how the hell do i get rid of it and if its contractions ill eventualy find out when they get worse or dont go away i guess. its just so confusing because last week i had weird discharge that might have been part or the plug and my back has been hurtng and feeling alot of pressure in my but and vagina and when i went for a walk a few times i had to just stop because i felt a weird pain in my vagina well if its gas how to get rid of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Exactly! lol, if the pains gets worse you will know what it is. Or maybe you'll lose your water, or your mucus plug or something.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't know but sounds to me like you should call your doctor. I worry that I won't know what real contractions feel like. The Braxton Hicks ones knock my breath out!
    Stefanie1130

Answer by Stefanie1130 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• People always say you'll know when you are having contractions, and that is true because eventually they get to the point where there is no doubt in your mind. For now, I would try timing the pains to see if there is any sort of regularity as that would be a sign to me that it might be contractions over gas. And definitely call your doctor to see what they think- that is why they are there and they have heard every question in the book. My early contractions felt like my baby was pushing herself up against the top of my stomach, it would last ten or fifteen seconds and then stop. It didn't hurt at that point. Also, this sounds crazy but if you think it's gas try laying on your stomach, or getting down on your hands and knees. You want to get your butt in the air a bit and that can help let gas out. That's what they told my Dad after surgery when they needed him to pass gas and it worked like a charm. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Do the pains come and go? Do they occur at regular intervals? That's how contractions will be, and they usually get more intense and closer together as time passes.

Also, during contractions, your stomach will tighten up, like when you do a sit up, but you can't release the muscles voluntarily. That's what they mean by your stomach "making a fist", and it should correspond with any pain you're having.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011