Smoking While Pregnant!!??!!

OK i just spotted my neighbor who is about 6 months along (young girl 19) sitting on her front porch smoking a cigarette. Now even though we know the dangers of smoking while pregnant i want to know your thoughts. Did you smoke during pregnancy? Do you smoke during pregnancy? I personally am a smoker i quit in my 4th month with my oldest and quit completely with my second. I did pick it back up after i was done breast feeding.

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 9:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant. For me, smoking while pregnant was not an option. I couldn't have handled the guilt. Hell, I felt horrible after eating deli meat once, lol! However, I try not to judge. My mom smoked when she was pregnant bc her doctor told her not to quit completely. He said that it would be more harmful to me if she were to go through the withdrawals. Granted, this was 27 years ago and the medical community now know a lot more. Women these days should know better. But...quitting is REALLY hard for some people, so like I said, I try not to judge, though I do always feel a little disgusted when I see a pregnant woman smoking. I just can't help it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I was a smoker and stopped around the same as you. My doctor was just happy to see I cut down then quit totally. I had a friend who also smoked through her entire pregnancy. Her doctor told her as long as she made sure to eat birth weight should not be affected. It wasnt. Her baby was over 10 lbs.
    I dont think smoking is good for anyone. But people do it, and it isnt up to me to judge their choices.

Answer by gemgem at 9:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i'll admit it, i smoked to about the 4th month of my first pregnancy, and smoked about a pack a week during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies. am i proud of it? hell no. was i incredibly stupid and selfish for gambling with my babies' health? absolutely. i recently quit about 2 and a half months ago, and often wish that whatever will power i had to do it i could've had when i was pregnant. i can't change the past but i can take hold of the future so by quitting i'm no longer exposing myself or them to the harsh chemicals of cigarette smoke.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I am ashamed to say but yeah i did. my kids were both healthy.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Doctors today tell women not to quit smoking because doing so can cause miscarriage. They do however strongly encourage you to cut back!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I too am personally not a smoker but I have a husband and friends who do and I know how terribly hard it is to quit. A few years ago, one of my coworkers was pregnant with her 1st. She tried her best to stop but couldn't. She even said her doctor told her to try to wean herself instead of going cold turkey. That's what she did. By 6 months, she was down to only about 1 per day. From the 1/2 pack a day she smoked pre pregnant. She hated how our other workers judged her and it really hurt her feelings. I was a comfort to her, assuring her she was doing the best she could. We grew closer because of that. You never know what a pregnant (and smoking) woman could be going through.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My niece is 22 (today, actually) and has smoked her entire pregnancy - she's due in a month or so. I personally think it is a really bad idea. I used to smoke, too, but when I got pregnant with my 1st kiddo I quit...and then started again when I was done breastfeeding. But then I got pregnant again and haven't smoked since. I disagree with smoking while pregnant and it pisses me off when I see people doing it. But I don't say anything because in reality, it's none of my business. They are the ones that will have to deal with a baby that may have some serious health issues. It's not fair to the baby, that's for sure...but unfortunately some people are just selfish and unable to see the "big picture."
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 9:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Her doctor told her as long as she made sure to eat birth weight should not be affected. It wasnt. Her baby was over 10 lbs.

Same here. My 2nd daughter was 3 weeks overdue and had a birthweight of 10.2 lbs. My 3rd came on time and weighed 8.4 lbs. My first, the one I quit with during the 4th month, was a week early and weighed 6.9 lbs. Not advocating smoking during pregnancy in any way, shape or form, but it is ironic how that happens sometimes. I suppose it's just pure dumb luck.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My friend does it and she drives me nuts! Her daughter was born 4.5lbs and they assume it was due to her smoking through her pregnancy. This same friend is now pregnant again and still smoking! It's her body and her children but I feel sorry for them all!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I've never smoked, but I had a friend who smoked during her pregnancy. We were pregnant at the same time. It's not just birth weight that can be affected by smoking. Her baby was born with a cleft lip and palette. The doctor told her that babies of smokers are at significantly higher risk of cleft lip than babies of non-smokers. Her son is an adult now, but started having major surgeries at 9 months old, and had numerous surgeries over the years.

Even if many people who smoke are lucky enough to give birth to healthy babies, it wouldn't be worth the risk.

I have heard from so many smokers how hard it is to quit, and I believe it. My heart goes out to all smokers who want or need to quit, but please do though, it's the best gift you can give your family.

This is a big deal to me. We've lost 4 loved ones to cancer in the last 4 years. All smokers. Three of them in their 50's. The most recent in February.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2011