Question About Using Free Weights - I Am Stuck :(

I can't seem to get beyond the reps and weight I've been doing for almost a year. My arms give out to the point I can't even lift the weights and they aren't that heavy! What is wrong with me? I was able to move up from lighter weights and reps to the point I am at now, but I can't seem to get beyond this and I need to.

I am not trying to bulk up or anything, I just want strength and to keep my upper arms and shoulders toned.

Thanks in advance!

grace61

Asked by grace61 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Yeah, DEFINITELY up your weight. You shouldn't necessarily be doing the exact same weight for each position, because you'll have some muscles stronger than others. But I would say go to 15 lbs and see what you can do. When you up the weight, you shouldn't be able to do many more than about 8 reps. Once you get to 15 reps, up the weight. When you get to your last rep, you should REALLY have to work for it. Don't just do reps until you've gotten to your target number- that won't help you get stronger, it'll help you plateau. You might consider a session or a few with a trainer to help you see what you ought to be doing, how hard you should be pushing, and change things up.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• If you want toning, you don't need to up the weight too much. Toning is from lots of reps at lower weights. If your arms are being exhausted, you're probably doing pretty well. Try to add just one more rep (not set), and then a few days later try again.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I go back and forth between 25's 20's and twelves I do six reps. So maybe you can step back to the lighter weight to get the rep.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• How many reps are you doing? You can also try upping the weight and doing a few fewer reps (should be between 8 and 15), just to change it up and give you muscles a shock. Doing this once a week or so won't bulk you up (you'd REALLY have to work to bulk up), but it will shock your muscles enough that you will get stronger.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thanks for the info :) I feel like such a wimp. They are only 12 pounders! lol! But I will try your advice. Makes sense.
    grace61

Comment by grace61 (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I do 20 reps for each position - About 7 or 8 different positions - Depends on how much time I have. So maybe less reps and move up to heavier weights?
    grace61

Comment by grace61 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thank you!!! That makes so much sense.
    I can't afford a personal trainer right now, been working out at home several times a week.
    I really appreciate your help!
    grace61

Comment by grace61 (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2011