How can i get my daughter tohave a regular bowl movement ?

we have tryed caro and pears. there will be one week she is constipated ten one week she is fine.. any suggestions are greatly apperiated :) she is 6 months on formula bottles and eating 3 times a day oatmeal mixed with juice  pears with rice and green peas with rice.. doesnt seem to cry in pain but will strain 15-20 mins several time a day before pooping....

emalysmommy10

Asked by emalysmommy10 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use prunes and prune juice. It helps a lot. It is not very yummy but my daughter will take it .... and It works perfect!!!
    reed81509

Answer by reed81509 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• How old is you baby?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• How old is she?
    Is she on solids foods?
    Does she seem in pain?

If she is only on formula or breast milk, she will not have a regular bowel movement. Since she is not taking in 'fillers' there is nothing to poop out and may go 6-7 days before pooping.
    If she is on solids and doesn't seem in pain, then she is not contstipated and does not need anything to 'make her go'.
    If she is in pain, you may need to change the formula or solids that you are giving her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• she is 6 months old and on solids eating oatmeal with juice in the a.m pears mixed with rice at noon and greenpeas with rice in the p.m and is on formula bottle. she doesnt seem to cry in pain but has a hard time going... she strains for 15-20 mins several times a day before finally pooping. i never had my mom around or babies around growing up so im not sur eif maybe im just giving her to much starch or doing something wrong !!! thank you all for the replies !!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• How much formula is she getting per day? It could be that she isn't getting enough liquids.
    You might want to use prune juice to mix the oatmeal. It always helped with mine.
    Also, rice can cause constipation. I couldn't give the rice cereal to mine for that reason so we stuck with oatmeal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My son had the same issue. I gave him some stool softner medication. Yes, he was young so I didn't do alot of it, for under 2 it's 2ml. I did 1/2 of that. Try it, or contact the doctor or pharmist if you aren't comfortable with that. I would not do a suppository though it's rough on a little baby's system
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• try a lactose formula and see if have better results that way since the other might be borthing her, pedal her legs like a bike helps. I give my youngest mirlax.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• put one oz of adult prune juice maek sure it's 100% juice and mix it with water. Your daughter don't have to drink it all, maybe just once or twice a day until her poops.

One time my son didn't go for 5 days b/c I feed him too many bananas, so I give him water and prune juice addition to his regular feeding schedule and he pooped on the next day. My pedi said if that doesn't work I have to use suppository. Make sure your daughter stay hydrate so she can go easier. Give her a little bit (half oz) of water each day after her solid, and make sure she does some exercise. Hope she poop soon
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Back off the rice. Don't use Karo, it can be dangerous and even deadly in infants. Start a food journal, see if you can find any pattern, if there is a specific food she eats right around the time she gets backed up. When you say constipated, what do YOU mean? Just straining? If the stool isn't dry, hard, or pellet like, it's not considered constipation. If it IS, speak to the dr. Try foods that are high in fiber. Ask the dr about adding a fiber supplement.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes, also since she's on solids, offer water with solids meals. And you might want to cut back a little on the solids and see if it helps. To ME that seems like a lot for a 6 mo old. But, like I said, if it's ONLY straining, there probably isn't a problem at all.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011