Yeah yeah many find Stephen Colbert funny......but is NOW really the time??

I have been watching loosely the coverage on him in Washington and all it looks like is one , big, inappropriate, joke! The country is in the middle of (yes we are NOT coming out!) a recession, unemployment at 9% and higher all over, congress hasn't set a budget in over 800 days, and foreclosures are HUGE but he thinks NOW is a good time to go to DC and waste time on this silliness? You want to be funny haha go do it in your studio with cute little skits. Many of the electorate is already confused by the FACT that colbert and stewart are comedians and not ACTUAL news men doesn't this just blur the lines more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i'm kinda with you on this..it seems a bit distracting and senseless.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Actually, I see the Citizens United case as what isn't funny.

Colbert and Stewart wouldn't be so entertaining if there wasn't so much of an element of truth to the hypocrisy they highlight.

Maybe "news" outlets should do more to report actual news, and then they would have less fodder to play with.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I thought he did that months ago? Or are you upset about his short and humorous "PAC" adventure? SuperPac....hehe.
    Do you remember when he spent over a week with troops in the middle east two years ago? DO you know that he is a Republican.....just not a Conservative Republican--and he is a wise and intelligent person? With a sense of HUMOR! Washington lacks humanity and humor....
    Lets just calm down. And stop being discriminatory and dense and uptight
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I dont care if he is a repub or a dem. Did I mention party anywhere? Thats why I posted this anon so as not to give it that. That seems to be your hang up not mine. Washington doesnt need chuckleheads and jokesters right now. They need to buckle down and get their job done! I am sure the million unemployed and losing their homes dont find any of this funny and dont consider themselves "dense and uptight" but scared and worried about how they are going to feed their families. I am not saying these comedianes dont have a place, they do, just Not. In. Washington. And as for the wouldn't be so entertaining if there wasn't so much of an element of truth to the hypocrisy they highlight, what a crock. You can find an "element of truth" in twisted and turned into a big oh pile of BS. Thats how politicians get away with their crap.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• As long as they point out the truth I have no problem with it!!

Maybe we can use some laughter?

Because what our Government is a joke!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I haven't been watching but I'm glad I'm missing it.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• DOesn't it seem like the news today is too wrapped up in gossip rather than reporting ACTUAL news?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Are you talking about the Super PAC? That's the only thing I am seeing online. I don't watch Colbert (have in the past in other shows) but at least he wasn't testifying in front of congress as his 'character', which was a huge effing waste of time, money and resources. I'm so glad that our nation is doing so well that our congress can waste their time on entertainment when they should be working. I guess my first mistake is thinking that they would be working.

I suppose my only curiosity is what he intends to do with his PAC.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• LOL. I bet that whole thing took about an hour to film. You guys are so uptight and narrow minded and lame....I can't believe how negative and biased and ignorant you are about EVERYTHING----the posts in this section of CM are filled with whiners. There is aways someone who thinks the world is about to end.....just lighten up and grow up. ANd stop whining and whimpering and blaming the President for everything, incuding Global Warming. Oh...and if its not Obama, its George Soros who is rumored to be "taking over the world". DOes the word "Shrink" ring a bell? It should. GEt one.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Well aren't you just a big ol' stick in the mud!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011