We're looking for a house and are open to moving to other cities and states. Where do you live? How much is gas? How many jobs are available in your area? In other words, is it easy to go get and keep a job or have a lot of people been getting laid off? Thanks!

lilmel1694

Asked by lilmel1694 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Gas here (in IL) is still under $4.00 (just under) in the area I live, but I know other parts of the state are paying $4.20.

According to the IL state department of employment web-page the unemployment rate here is 6% (I'm sure that other states have similar web-pages). As far as jobs our local paper uses http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/  to list jobs on it's web-version. There always seems to be openings in the health-care field here.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Living in Lansing, MI is hard right now. Not a lot of career opportunities. Retail, MSU, community college & hospitals are probably the better job opportunities here. Gas is @ $4.15/gal. Many homes are empty & in forclosure in the city and the surrounding rural areas. It's definately a buyer's market around here but there's still the job factor. It is a beautiful area, however. Lots of country, farmland, state land, lakes & woods. We live in a rural area and it only takes 15-25 minutes to get to the bigger cities in the area.
    OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 10:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• If you go to www.lsj.com (Lansing State Journal) you can see what types of jobs are available.
    OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 10:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• We're in New Cumberland, WV.
    Gas today was $4.09
    Homes are VERY inespensive
    Jobs are hard to come by unless you commute to Pittsburgh
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Gas is under $4 still. Homes can be pretty cheap...I have a 5 bedroom, 2 bath house with garage, driveway, stained glass windows, original hardwood floors and woodwork--$80K...yup. For jobs, I guess it depends on what you do.
    sarahsfamily1

Answer by sarahsfamily1 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• always be sure to check out the school districts as well
    crazytrio

Answer by crazytrio at 12:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• gas 4.02 sd no good jobs top pay is 14.00 per hr.
    misskitty98310

Answer by misskitty98310 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Ok so now I hate the gas rates here more now after reading everyone's answers ... I live in San Jose, Ca and gas prices right now are about $4.40 but it's a great area with lots to do and plenty of Jobs, I guess it depends on the type of field you're looking for or the position but I have no problem finding jobs here at all.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Ardmore,Oklahoma. The hub between Oklahoma City & Dallas Small town charm lakes ,mountains, mild winters, growing fast lots of good paying jobs and more corp's moving in gas is 3.89 good schools friendly people good place to raise kids....
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 5:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Jacksonville,Fl. the housing market is great gas is a steady $4.00. If youre presistent you can find a job if youre lazy you will not. Im not going to say its easy it took me three months to find a job but if you start now im sure if could work out. Schooling can be a little tricky. Depending on what side of town you want to live on depends on the quality of the school. Florida has a competency test that much be passed but a lot of the schools around here are FAILING! We have a naval base here and the city is working on becoming a little more upscale i think.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2008