Don't you hate it when people curse in front of your young children?

Does your child repeat what they say?

TashaStar81

Asked by TashaStar81 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids have only heard it in public and they tell people they said a bad word LOL. No my kids dont repeat it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• YES, my 2 year-old repeats everything she hears, so when we have someone who just doesn't care and they curse she will repeat it. I get so mad!! My oldest will look at me and say "Mommy they said a bad boy word" but my youngest.... ugh
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No it doesn't really bother me. They know the difference between an adult word and wha they are permitted to say.
    They have repeated it and I just correct them then and there. Sometimes, the person that cursed will overhear and sometimes they apologize. Other times, they just look annoyed. IDC, I do what I need to do to raise my kids right.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't like it, and I politely make it known to the person. I also have a talk with my daughter once we are alone. I've found that saying "don't EVER say that!" doesn't work very well. What does work (for my kid at least) is gasping and saying "That was so bad, wasn't it? You would NEVER say that, would you?!" The response is usually along the lines of "No way! Never EVER!!" and she wants to be my good little girl. I find that simply telling kids not to do stuff is pretty much the same as asking them to do it :)
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• NO i never made a big deal about curse words. So my kids when young never did use them. I see parents make a big deal the kids will think its cool to use them.
    My kids friends cures all the time and that is because if their mother heard them saying anything they got smacked in the face.

It is better not to say anything when others are using bad word to express how they are feeling. Just walk away.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No, I see nothing wrong with "bad words" and am completely stumped by the idea all together. What makes a word bad? How is one word okay while another with the same meaning is naughty? I don't get it... Nor do I get upset when my kids hear or say them. Words are words, nothing more, nothing less.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yeah, I cannot stand it. My dd knows those are words we do not say, so she will not repeat them. Ds, probably has never noticed, he is only 2 1/2. What's worse, my inlaws will curse in front of us, knowing we do not talk that way and do not want our children to hear it. They are jerks anyway....
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Mine are grown now, but they did know there were things grown ups could say or do, and they couldn't (such as drinking alcohol and driving a car).

That being said....I think it shows a real lack of class or consideration for others when people swear in places where there are children present. There are times and places where it's appropriate, and times and places where it's not. Discretion is a nice skill to have.

If nothing else, some people serve as a bad example.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Cursing doesnt bother me so much. She knows they are grown-up/bad words she is not allowed to say.

Now what DOES bother me is talking in a racial way.. Sure we all will reference color if thats the quick/easy way.. But my DD picks up on it & id like her to notice color in her own time.. Also the way some talk is always in a negative light when they mention color/nationality..

Sexual in nature type conversation-- kids are really smart & pick up on A LOT more than we know! I dont want to have to explain what a carpet muncher is.. or vibrators.. or anything else like that! (my family will talk about the most off subjects in front of kids in certain words/whisper acting like the kid has no comprehension skills & that creates even more "confusing" questions!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't mind the occasional "damn it" or "shit", and to be honest, we don't have the cleanest mouths at home (same type of occasional swearing), but what I do hate is hearing people argue and yell at each other with swearing, calling each other names, etc. I don't want my kids to think that is normal behavior. My children have said naughty words a couple times when they were 2 or 3, and I didn't react much, just told them that only grown ups say those words and it was never a problem.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2011