How long do you think a child should be breast fed? (to what age)

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly a year i think is good. If you would break your child from a bottel at a year wouldnt you take them away from the boob at a year??? makes since to me. i sure dont wana be breasfeeding a two year old who can say mommy lift your shirt i wana eat.
    Anonymous

• I agree with first poster.
    Anonymous

• id say around 10 months. they are at the age where you are starting to transfer to milk & real food
    haileyraesmommy

Answer by haileyraesmommy at 2:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think each child and parent is different and that it depends on each family. My daughter will be 2 next month. I breastfed her 100% until she was 6 months, never drank off a bottle once, then at 6 motnhs she started using a sippy cup and still was breastfed often until she was about 15 months. Then from 15 months to about 10 days ago she only nursed for sleeping and comfort(about 4-5 times a day.. It has now been 10 days since she only nuses in the middle of the night if she wakes up. I plan to have her totally weaned by her birthday at the end of next month, so 2. (hopefully..LOL)
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i plan on breastfeeding to a yr old or around there, maybe a month longer or shorter but somewhere around that time.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think any is better than none, and a full year is really good. Past one year I would think it would be ok to continue one or two feedings for a while longer, but I personally would want them weaned completely by 18 months.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• dd is 15 months today and we are in the process of weaning...i think a year is good...however, some people or organizations recommend 2 years (so, I 've heard )..anyways, she can pull my shirt down and will start nursing on her own, that's when i said it's time to stop...she only nurses in between 2-4 times a day now and at night..it may take a while, but she has to stop...i need my body back..lol
    kaeleighalexis

Answer by kaeleighalexis at 2:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• world health orginazation recommends 2 yrs.....i let them self wean
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I plan to allow my son to self wean, though if he's not showing signs of weaning by 4 or 5, I'll probably encourage weaning. He's currently 16 months. My daughter self weaned at 13.5 months, and then I found out I was pregnant, so that's probably why.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I breast fed my daughter for 6 or 7 months. Then she started teething and it was way too painful for me. But I know people who have breast fed for a longer time they just trained their kids not to bite too hard while nursing. Whatever works for you that is good. I'd say try and do it the longest time you can. Good luck.. just trust yourself and if you do decide to give your baby formula and breast milk.. make sure you do it slowly.. that way he or she can get used to having the formula 1-2 a day and slowly wean the baby off. My daughter did not like formula as much as the breast milk.. so rem give the baby some time to adjust.
    simran4god

Answer by simran4god at 3:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008