Can a child get a cast taken of in 2 weeks?

I am asking cause my 6 year old got a cast put on yesterday and I have to call Monday to have a follow up scheduled in 14 days. She broke her arm on her forarm and broke 2 bones. I am just trying to think when they might take it off. I have almost 5 weeks to go in my pregnancy and so I am afraid that I will end up having to get her cast off the same time I end up having this baby lol. I will have 5 more weeks of pregnancy on Tuesday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• More than likely they won't, my husband is an orthotist, he makes casts, and braces,, and depending on the severtiy of the break, it will most likely be about the time the baby is due,, sorry momma! :(
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My dd broke her elbow and they had to put a cast on. We had a follow up in 2 weeks as well. It is usually to make sure the bone is setting correctly. My dd had her cast for 6 or so weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• The rule is always at least 6 weeks at the most 8 weeks!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have heard of them changing them and positioning them differently (kind of a progression of different castings), but not having them removed completely after 2 weeks. It will probably be six weeks.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Especially with kids(who tend to forget to becarful or take it slow) it is important to keep the bone immobile until it sets and sets hard! With adults I see and have experienced a preference to use a brace sooner or even right away, but they are adults and there is an assumption of being responsible for thier own health, safety , and well being.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You're probably looking at more like 4-6 weeks. 2 weeks isn't near enough time!
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 10:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Usually its 6-8 weeks if it healed my mom had her cast on for 12 weeks they changed and xrayed it every 2 Aww poor baby hope she is ok
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm no doc but I can pretty much guarantee your dd will not get it off in 2 weeks. My dd broke both bones in her forearm on May 26th. She had her 1st cast removed and replaced (cause it gets gross and smelly) after 4 weeks, which was last week. Doc said its possible to get her new cast off as early as 3 more weeks but its possible that she will need a removable cast or one that only goes up to the elbow. She was scheduled to go to my mom's house out of state for 3 weeks, which was right when the doc wanted to see her again. he had no issues with leaving her cast on an additional week until she comes back. In my experience, our orthopedic surgeon has been flexible with our appointments. Best case senario (assuming she didn't have vacation planned) would be a minimum of 7 weeks for my dd.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would guess no. A couple of years ago my son fell off his bunk bed and broke both bones in his arm- a very minor broke, the bones were actually bent rather than broken in two. And he still spent about five weeks in a cast and another two or three weeks in a removable splint.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011