How do i stop my 4 year old to stop lying?

I dont know where she learned to do this. She has started lying about everything... yeaterday she told a bunch of kids about her sister katie (which she dosnt have)... and every morning she tells the day care she hasnt eaten (when she has)... its gotten to the point where almost everything that she says is a lie. PLEASE HELP!

klopezmex21

Asked by klopezmex21 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's totally normal.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Kids will lie as a game. But you do have to work on it now or it will get worse. First how many days is she in daycare?

Some kids will pick up bad habits fast when they are this young. You need to talk to her and ask her does she want a sister or is she hungry when she says she hasn't eaten.
    Just talk to her and tell her the importance of telling the truth, lies can get you in big trouble and people do not like kids that lie.

Just don't take her toys away that does not work! Communication is the only thing that works.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Btw if you google it, there are some awesome children's books on this subject as well. Books always seemed to go over well with special situations.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Give her a creative outlet. At this age, they are starting to use their imaginations a lot more, sometimes inconveniently... My daughter loves to tell stories, you just need to channel them into the right setting and teach her when and where it is and is not appropriate.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My son has been doing this since 3.. we always correct him or talk to him about telling the truth but I have to think its just a phase, he told me once grandma ( my mom ) spanked his butt and he needed a bandaid, now my mom would never spank and he only wanted a bandaid which I wouldn't give him because he is allergic.. they are silly little creatures lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Change your perspective.
    Don't look at it like lying anymore.
    Be impressed at her creativity and go with it.
    When she "lies" say "oh, wow, that is so interesting!" That is all.

Your child is normal and this is expected.
    If you need more help with parenting then chat with the teachers or asks for more.

But know that she is fine.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My 4yo has been going through the same thing though it first started out as talking nonstop about a made-up "friend" to now lying about having brushed his teeth, washed his hands, etc. I keep explaining to him that it's not good to lie but he thinks it's a game. I think at this age it's testing the waters mixed with newly found creativity.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 8:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011