How to encourage someone to see a therapist/councelor for anxiety?

My mom has been dealing with (general) anxiety the past 2years. Suddenly for no reason she will get numb all over, dizzy, overwhelmed, short of breath -- For no known reason... Also she has had problems with her inner ear, if she gets up too fast, or climbs on a ladder she will get vertigo -- the 1st time this happened it was so bad vertigo lasted over an hour & she went to the ER ( to come out with nothing but a hospital bill).

Yesterday she had an anxiety episode at work & we took her to the dr. They gave her some pills. Why dont they mention seeing a therapist!?
So afterwards I told her she should go talk to someone. And shes like "why should I go pay to talk to someone when I talk to Veronica (friend/boss)"
She is under a lot of stress at work & we lost my dad/her mom/ her brother in a short period of time 10yrs ago. She still has not gone on 1 date & on the weekends doesnt do much..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Health

• Have you tried telling her you will go and sit with her as support? Possibly even sit down and be direct with her and tell her how you feel and your concern for her overall health, and see how that goes. I can see where she is coming from about not wanting to "pay to talk to someone" but google search the community action building closest to your home and most states award free mental health services! I wish you luck, I have been dealing with this with a friend of mine for awhile now!
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011