Why am I getting a charlie horse in the middle of the night?

Once in a while I wake up with a sudden charlie horse in the middle of the night. What is the cause of this? It's so painful but it only happens to one leg, around my calf area. After I get the charlie horse, my calf gets super tense and sore till the following morning which affects my running.

nkleintank

Asked by nkleintank at 10:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Health

• Dehydration and lack of potassium. Drink gatorade, and more water.
    Anna_2250

Answer by Anna_2250 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Yep, Anna's right..lack of potassium, eating banana's and asparagus helps too.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 11:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Ditto to the above! That happened to me when I was overworking my muscles.
    Beks

Answer by Beks at 1:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• that happened with my 1st 2 pregnancies, I am in my 5th month & luckily haven't had any yet...BANANAS!!! lots of them will help! Also point your toes up & towards your head, this will help stretch it out! Good luck
    koodie78

Answer by koodie78 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• yes it depends on the vitamens
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 4:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• My husband and myself would get them really bad every night, so bad we couldn't sleep ....... The best thing is tonic water, you can add a lemon or lime to it. Just drink a small glass (juice glass) before you go to bed everynight. they will stop promise!!!!!
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 5:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Also try magnesium,this has helped me immensely!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Everybody is telling you bananas but if you get to much potassium and can cause the same problem! Go to the doc and have him/her check your enzyme levels!
    confused0701

Answer by confused0701 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2008