Cereal

For the moms that introduced cereal early, did yoy do it by spoon or bottle, and how much did you add to formula? My 12 week old wants to eat 4-5 oz. every 3 hours round the clock, he never seems satisfied.

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 2:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 12 weeks is too early to give cereal unless directed by a doctor, and it is normal for them to eat that often (and my daughter ate that much too - not sure about other peoples babies)

I started cereal at 4 1/2 months, in her bottle (I would make a 6 oz bottle and use 5 tbl spoons of rice cereal) and when she was a week over 5 months the cereal in bottle wasn't working so I just started feeding her baby food for dinner and she has done great ever since (she is now 7 months)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My daughter hit a growth spurt @12 weeks to and would not seem to get full. So i started giving her 1 tbl spoon of cereal in one bottle once a day. I did it in the afternoon. I just used a knife to make an X in the top of one of the nipples. Otherwise it won't go through the nipple, and the fast flow nipples at the store were way to fast. But don't start with the rice cereal, it constipated her realy bad. Tyr the barley or oatmeal. And i woult probably give heer like 2 ox of prune juice a day just to make sure she doesn't get constipated. That is not fun to go through. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• Food is food and bottle is bottle so if...after talking to your ped you decide to go with cereal, make it warm and as watery as formula as possible and put it on a spoon...you do not want to make the rookie mistake of giving food in a bottle.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• 12 weeks is WAYYY to early for Cereal..Make more in the bottle b4 you do cereal. You can do reasearch online..or listen to other moms..or just ask the PED :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my baby girl is 13 weeks old and 2 days ago we starting giving her 2 teaspoons in about an oz of formula then finished the other 3 oz of the bottle normal. She LOVES it!
    shauna9909

Answer by shauna9909 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well I can tell you that I have been giving my daughter 1 tsp of cereal to every four oz of formula since she was about 8 weeks because she was doing the same, She was wanting to eat a 4 oz bottle every 2-3 hours... She hasn't had any problems so far, I was just giving it to her before she went to bed at night so she would sleep through the night, now I give it to her in every other bottle.
    ryrysyf

Answer by ryrysyf at 8:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• 12 weeks is not too early for cereal. Some docs say 12 weeks, some say not til 6 months. If you give him cereal, give it to him with a spoon. He won't really know what to do the first couple times but he will figure it out. If he doesn't do well with it, then he's not ready yet.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008