Do you think boys are easier to raise than girls? Or do parents just spoil girls easily making it difficult to raise them?

I get sympathy all the time for telling people I have two girls and saying that boys are easier to raise. In my experience so far my two girls have been wonderful! Sure my 4 year old has her days when she's moody and she's thrown a temper tantrum that people all the way in China could've heard, but a majority of the time she's been a pretty good kid to raise. I think it's because we don't spoil her that much. I'm sure boys are just as difficule or easy to raise as girls if people didn't assume that girls need to be spoiled more than boys.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree.. I have three little girls & they are amazing. Of course, like any child, they have their days!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Honestly I think its about the same. I have both boys and girls at various ages from 6-22 yrs old and I have had my moments with each of them over the years.

Answer by gemgem at 10:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ladies just wait till your girls get a little older!!!! It changes drastically!!! My sister has 5 girls!!!! I have boys and they r easier!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I only have boys, so I can't compare from experience, but from what I've seen I think boys and girls both have their challenges at different times and in different ways. I think little boys tend to be more hyper-active than most little girls, but then at different ages girls can be more challenging.

It's kind of like people saying "Well you have boys, you don't have to worry about them getting pregnant." Well, of course they can't get pregnant, but they CAN get a girl pregnant, so why would I worry less about that with a boy.

ALL kids are amazing, and all have their challenges.....it's silly to compare!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My oldest is 22 so I know how it is with teen girls ;-)
    There are still issues with teen boys too.

Answer by gemgem at 10:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I used to nanny 4 girls and I thought they were very easy to take care of in comparison to any other 4 kids. In general, I think that a parent raises one sex easier than the other. For instance, mom's think boys are easier and dad's think girl are easier.....but it can also go the other way around. A well rounded woman can raise both girls and boys with the same level of ease but not usually with the same tactics. So, I think a person's perspective through experience can make them think it is like that for all mommies.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 10:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't think its as much gender seperate as most people make it sound. Sure boys tend to have more energy but its not always the case, girls tend to be moodier and hormonal at teenage time but not always the case either.. .. my son is not "easy" by any means but we are also tough on him so hopefully that will pay off later.. my son is 100% his fathers son, had we had a girl, I feel she'd be the same toughness just from genetics..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• When they are younger I think boys are harder to raise (dirt, bugs, peeing on everything, climbing, building, destroying, ect) but as they age and get into their teens girls take the trophy.. hormones, teen pregnancy by an unknown father, gossip, trendy clothes, hours in the bathroom, MOOD SWINGS...

I don't think it is spoiling just natural.. at a young age it is harder to judge but in the end... I'm not looking forward to my girls (2 and 5) becoming teens at all!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i think that grls are easier when they are young... but get more difficult in the pre teen/ teen years. Boys on the other hand are harder when they are younger, but u dont deal with as much teenage drama from them
    klopezmex21

Answer by klopezmex21 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think all teenagers are difficult to manage whether they're boys or girls. WHen I hear TEENAGER I think of nothing but stress. Because yeah while you don't have to worry about your son getting pregnant, you still have to worry about him driving and getting his license and where he's actually going when he says he's going to study or hang out with friends. For any teenager and parent that's code for party. So either way, teenagers in general sound like a nightmare!
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2011