She is ALWAYS SO constipated, help!!

I have posted about her before but I'm getting SO frustrated. I take care of my niece 3 days a week and she is ALWAYS so so constipated, she isn't fed regular food that often at home and when she is its usually junk food that is easy for them so I partly understand the problem but she shouldn't be this constipated all the time. I give her miralax and feed her healthy food with fiber to help her but I still have to give her a suppository at least every other week, which she screams trying to go. I feel so bad for her but they don't seem to care enough to give her the miralax at home, even though my MIL has bought it for them several times. Any ideas on anything else I can do to help her? I know its hard with only having her a few days but I hate seeing her so miserable, and telling them anything is pointless they do not care, and refuse to take her to a dr which I KNOW she needs because its been this way her entire life. Ugh. Any ideas? I wish I had her more to make sure she's taken care of...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would give her coffee if it were me... It will probably loosen her stool and help to clean her out. I do this with my boys when they are constipated. I usually water it down or get em a frozen coffee drink, lol. Good luck!
    yellyell083

Answer by yellyell083 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Prune juice/ apple juice/ and milk. a pharmacist told me once that for some kids, milk keeps them regular. I would definately have a chat with the parents, because obviously the food they are feeding her is not keeping her healthy. Good Luck!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 10:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• What do you consider constipated?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Rather than the Miralax, I would try giving her half of a Metamucel wafer each night. Sometimes it is more that the child doesn't want to go--they feel as though they are losing part of themself. My oldest was in this fix and he had good food and care everyday. The wafer was our dr's idea. It worked and was a gradual fix so that my son didn't quite catch on--tasted a whole lot better than mineral oil (which is a common thing to try in this situation) or trying to trick a kid into another laxative. We just didn't tell him what it was, told him it was bedtime treat (which is when it should be given), and he was tickled. Eventually, he couldn't hold it and it became normal. After a while, he didn't need the wafer anymore and he outgrew the idea. This was what we did at the advice of the doctor, maybe it will help for her!
    th43

Answer by th43 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• She doesn't poop for days and days at a time and when she does its very very hard and she screams and cries trying to go and its hardly anything at all. We have tried talking to her parents but they just don't do anything, and since they only started giving her milk about a week ago and she is almost 18 months old. She doesn't drink too much milk, at least they say she wont drink it for them, but for me she drinks it alot, so I'm wondering how much they are really giving her because they always tell me oh she doesn't like milk, and i'm like she drank it all day today and liked it, and they always say 'oh'... Ugh.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• That is awful! I cant believe that their parenting is that bad. Their childs health is in jeopardy! I would talk to your pediatrician about your nieces problem and get ideas from the Dr. on how to get it thru these peoples heads that this is really HURTING their daughter.
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 11:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• avoid milk products, add more fiber to her diet, My girl has had tons of problems and has been to specilist about her problem and they told use to use miralx or even exlax but small amounts for their ages, if not potty trained lay them down and pedel their legs like a bike, or if potty trained us a bench. give rewards for going to the potty, if want I have a whole list of things good for extra fiber. I even do those fiber gummies since doctor said they work good as well. Avoid things like koolaid, juice, sodas, Have her relax like watching a movie or catoon to take their mind off what they are doing. I would also take to the doctor.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It will be really hard to help her when her parents aren't on board....
    But things to try..... (my son has major constipation issues too and this is what we do for him)
    Flaxseed oil daily - he has a flavored oil tastes like strawberry banana... he gets a teaspoon daily
    You could also add Flax seeds to her foods.
    Chlorophyll drops - 3-5 drops added to his drink once/day
    Prune juice with pulp sometimes mixed with pure apple juice (the kinds that is brown and not clear like you get at an orchard) - 4 to 6oz daily.
    We only do Miralax if it gets really bad... I don't want him on a bunch of medications.
    If she will eat prunes (my son won't) I would give her 2-3 with her breakfast in the morning.
    We also limit dairy
    It would be best to avoid a lot of breads and pasta's... however with a 2 year old those are about the only foods my son WILL eat so we try to make up for it in other ways.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• unfortanetly, there is no way to make her parents do anything, unless they give her to u, prune juice is better than anything, i have to drink an 12oz glass every morn to b able to go.
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• DD used to get really consipated too. She would just scream bloody murder trying to poop. And she didn't just eat junk food. She ate good meals, whatever I made for dinner. Ever since she was born she usually only goes once a day. But if it's been two days then I break out the prune juice. When she was a baby I'd mix it with her formula or milk. Now that's a little older I just give it to her and she drinks it. Also fresh cooked brocc. I gave that to her one night that the poor thing did nothing but poop for two days lol. The parents really do need to do something for her. How old is she? Has she ever been tested for a milk allergy or anything?
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2011