What does "losing your plug" mean or feel like?

I keep seeing people writing about that and I don't know what that means or how I will know when it happens...

Stefanie1130

Asked by Stefanie1130 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is the mucus plug,u will know there will be a gush of water.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Then why do people say "I think I've been losing it all week"... I'm so freakin' nervous that I won't know what's happening. My mom passed a few months ago so now I don't have anyone I can ask my weird questions to.
    Stefanie1130

Comment by Stefanie1130 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I never lost my mucus plug but I think it's just brownish, dischargy, kind of gross probably. You can lose it all at once, in other words you would probably go the bathroom and notice something in the toilet bowl matching the description, or you can lose it over time meaning you would see some of the discharge in your panties or when you wipe for a few days. The good news is, I don't think it really means a whole lot, other than the fact that you are nearing delivery. It's not when your water breaks which means it's time to call the doctor and delivery is imminent. It just means your body is getting ready, but you can lose your mucus plug and not go into labor for several more days at least. When things start happening you'll be surprised at yourself for having a sense of what's going on- it's just mother's intuition that something is up. And you can come here to ask all your weird questions. Hugs to you, good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Mucsu plug and nothing to do with a gush of water. Mucus plug is a ball of snot with a bit of blood. I may fall out into your underwear. You my wipe and find it on the tissue or you may not notice it at all. People say they have been losing it all week because it can come out in pieces or even reform. Now the gush of water is when your bag of anmiotic fluid breaks. That is different.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I agree with LoveMyDog. It has nothing to do with a gush of water. When you lose your plug it can vary in color....from clear to yellowish, its a lot like a booger basically that seals the cervix while you are pregnant. As she said you may notice in your panties, on the tp or not at all. Most women have a little blood in the plug when it comes out, just a tint though. But not all women. When I lost mine with my daughter it was a yellowish looking booger and didnt have any blood in it and it came out in pieces over 2 weeks. Some women lose theirs all at once or it comes out in pieces over a few weeks time.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It sometimes comes off in pieces! That is why they say that!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2011