I'm concerned about my two year old

My son just turned 2yrs old on June 10th and I'm concerned on whether or not he's advancing at the rate that he should....I feel like he should be talking a whole lot more then what he does, I mean he knows how to say, see ya later bye, hi, mom, eat eat, six, seven eight, 9, and 10, abc, rere (the dogs name is remy), stop, here, sit, ball, shake shake shake, tickle, dada, yay, come on, thank you, excuse me, ready set and go, weeeee yeah and hi baby but shouldn't he be saying more

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he has quite a few words, so clearly he is grasping the concept of language and how to use it, which is a very good sign. I would keep talking to him a lot, repeat back to him what he is saying and elaborate on it to further show him how communication works and so he learns that by speaking he is able to get his ideas heard and get the things he wants. In my experience, boys do talk later than girls. My dd is almost a year younger than her boy cousin and she talks much better than him and has a much better vocabulary even now, and he will be 4 in November. Just keep an eye out and make sure he is gradually adding words to his vocabulary, and make sure you are reading and talking to him a lot, and I am sure he will continue to make progress. But if your gut really tells you something is off don't be afraid to call the pediatrician as well- if it's a concern they'll help and if not you'll be put at ease. Good luck
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Every kid talks at their own rate, if you want to help him along maybe you could read to him some more, I taught my daughter sign language from about 8 months old and it REALLY helped her learn how to talk I know that sounds funny because signing doesn't involve talking but as I taught her signs and the words that went along with them it helped her learn to sign and talk. Hopefully he'll pick up some more words soon, it would also help to just keep talking to him about everything you're doing so he can start to understand a little better. Good luck, but I wouldn't worry too much yet.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Relax mamma, I'm sure he's fine. All kids do some things earlier and some things later than others. I have three boys. The oldest was talking in sentences at just over a year old, but didn't walk until he was 14 months old. The middle one skipped crawling altogether, and was running at 7 months old but didn't really talk much until he was nearly 4 years old.

By the way, the middle one...who I was very worried about when he didn't talk much, especially after having an older one who talked so early....he was on his high school debate team, won speech awards, and is in college now studying music. They all balance out in the end.

If you're truly worried, talk to your pediatrician, but try not to worry!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i agree with above... my nephew is two and he talks about the same amount... plus boys talk later than grls
    klopezmex21

Answer by klopezmex21 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• A healthy visit to the doctor includes a screen for development. The local children's centre I go to has public health nurse visits and provides us with a checklist that we can look at ourselves to see how our little ones are developing. I would do a search on 2 year olds and speech development and see if you can get some info that way. Make sure that at least 3 sites give you the same information and that they aren't all citing the same sources to ensure the information is correct.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It may also depend on his birth order. My DS8 was a talker but we didn't have custody of my SD12 then. When my DS5 came around, everyone talked for him so he seemed speech delayed compared to the other two. Now he has an amazing vocabulary like his other siblings.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Babies all develop differently. Boys r usually slower at these things. Ask your dr about this, he would b able to evaluate this. do u have an older daughter u r comparing him to?
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 3:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• To whitelight Jenny no he's the only child
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i know here in ND there is a program called righttrack that works with parents with these concerns , you should check and see if your state has any program like this. i know my son is speech delayed and he didnt start talking till about 18 months really. i would google infant/child development programs in your state they are usually free of charge and if it is found that there is an issue they connect you to the right people. you can also talk to your childs doctor and just let him/her know your concerns. i know its scary when you think there might be something going on with your child so those are where i would start if i were you :) good luck hunni
    tylersmommy54

Answer by tylersmommy54 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2011