OUT OF CONTROL KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 3 and 4yr old ahve been horribly out of control the last 2wks. the wont nap, they wont go to bed at night and they refuse to listen when i tell them not to do something. i have tried timeouts, i have tried taking about privledges, i have taken away favorite toys. i don't know what else to do. my husband has work in the morning and the girls will stay up fighting in their room or talking till 3am. any advice would be much apriciated, but kind please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Separate them.. Dont let them sleep in the same room.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Obviously taking away privledges isn't working. Try to be more positive. Pick something fun to do & have them work for it. Try to give the kids stickers when you catch them being good and when they add up to a certain amt they have earned the fun thing. Instead of focusing on the negative focus on the good things. I tell my crazy 5 year old that his is my helper and praises him for the good stuff. This works better for me than the corner.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• supermommy: i would love to do that but i only have a 3bedroom home and my son has one room and my husband and i have one then the girls share one. so knowhere to put them
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Pick your consequences and STICK TO THEM no matter what. It will be hard and it won't happen over night, but soon you will see a change. Don't use any empty threats, whatever your punishment you must follow through. Remember, YOU are in charge, make sure the kids know that. Good luck!!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Try finding constructive activities for them to do to wear their little selves right out. And try playing around with the bedtime routine so that they have more downtime, or separate time without each other...

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• ((hugs)) been there done that with my 3 older kids (2 girls and a boy that are each a year apart). It was crazy. In the end I had to separate them at bedtime. My son had his own room that I actually had to LOCK for several days to show him he had to stay in it at bedtime (it was unlocked as soon as he fell asleep and we only had to do it for a couple days before he got the idea). Then my oldest stayed in her room and the youngest of them went to bed in my room and I'd move her to her bed when I went to sleep. It SUCKED. There was a whole year from when they were 3, 4 and 5 until they were almost 5, 6 and 7 that was crazy with that crap. They've mostly grown out of it but now I have 3 girls (currently 11, 8 1/2 and 5) sharing a room and all they do is fight about everything. They have no choice but to share. We have 3 bedrooms and the 2 boys (9 1/2 and 1) have the other room.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Have you tried the supernanny timeouts. I seriously spent 3 hours putting y daughter back into timeouts because she would run but I stuck through it and 2 weeks later she sits there quietly. You have to be consistent. Have you rewarded them for good behavior. When they share, you give them a sticker or something.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 5:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Also, are they getting their energy out? Maybe a walk before bed? We go out every night for a walk and the kids now come back and crash
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 6:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Bedtime can be hard around here too. Sometimes I will say, "If you want (fill in some privilege) tomorrow morning then you need to listen now." Or make it into a game, see who can get dressed the fastest, who can brush their teeth the best, who can lay in bed the quietest.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 8:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i can not pick a best answer! you all had great advice. justanotherjen: you did exactually what i now do and it does work, lol thanks.
    zanderandbella: the walk is something im going to try, thanks. skittles: sticking to my punishments is where i do go wrong, thank you for the advice.
    and everybody else thanks a bunch.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2011