how do i know when my daughter is ready for a big girl bed?

My daughter is 1 1/2 and we are moving to a new house. We got her a new bed room set with a full size very low to the ground bed. Can we set the bed up a while in her room, or should we wait till she is older to try to make the transition?

Asked by Allie22007 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do one thing at a time. If you plan a big move then I'd wait until she was comfortable at the new place before introducing her to a new bed. Too much too soon will strss kids out.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my son pade the transition at a year and a half. he was determend and his foot kept sliping on the bars the last time we had to cut the bar off the crib to get his knee unstuck. his leg got stuck so many times before that because he wanted OUT!

Answer by gypsy_rose at 1:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I took my daughter out of her crib when she was 1 year due to a move.......she never made it through a night in the bed and still sleeps with me!!!(5 yo)If you are not sure...dont do it!

Answer by JLCCC at 1:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We moved my son to a big bed at about that age, however he was climbing out, and as for my daughter she was almost 3 before she made the switch, she was happy in the crib. Since you are moving I would just go ahead and make the change and see how your child does!!

Answer by megan732 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I say follow your gut. If all else fails there is a fool proof way of knowing when to make the transition. Eventually the child is going to get too big or start climbing over the rails and risk hurting herself.

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 1:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with waiting. The trauma of the move is going to be enough for her to deal with right away. Can you set up both the bed and the crib in her new room? Slowly introduce it to her? Maybe nap in the bed and nighttime in the crib?

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• the way we did my son was when we moved we put him straight in it.he was then walking pretty well..but he slept in his play pen not crib.cause at 9 months old 10 months old he was gettin outta tha crib..mattress all the way down..and bars up

Answer by mamabear_7985 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would wait since you are moving. My dd started sleeping in a toddler bed when she was 2. It sucks b/c she can get out of bed and come to our room. I have made her a pallat that she lays on in the middle of the night b/c I am still waking up with the baby. So as long as she is happy leave her in the crib =]

Answer by MybabyKisses at 2:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i say keep the crib if she sleeps through the night in it and is not jumping out.

Answer by jennipher_z at 9:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008