Do your mother and MIL get along well?

Does their relationship help or hinder you and your spouses?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• They don't talk to each other, I guess they're fine when they do but they just don't really see each other as an important family member. So I'd say neither.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 11:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't have a "MIL" technically.. But my boyfriends mom & my mom like each other.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My mother doesn't really like my MIL, but they fine together. My mom just gets uncomfortable around MIL, I have no clue why but they are always nice to each other. And no it doesn't affect Dh and I because we just don't push it. we both see each of them all the time and they both babysit all the time. they just don't hang out.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Actually they do.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 11:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• we used to until she started telling me how to raise my DD. my DH understands as he clashes with her too. she probably means well but doesn't have practical ways of dealing with things. don't get me wrong, some of her advice can be helpful. it's just the way she presents it. she doesn't appear to have faith in me and my DH's choices and tries to force too many issues. I handle it by saying "I appreciate your input, but I don't agree with it." she still keeps trying tho. I try to be understanding as she has many years of experience. it's the fact that she isn't open to my opinions not matching hers that is the problem.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 11:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No way, my MIL will take my mom's head off if she ever meets her. it's not a problem because none of us talk to her.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We're water and oil.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My MIL and mother could not be any different. My MIL is a kind-hearted, warm, loving, compassionate person that is ALWAYS there when I need her. My mother is a reclusive, chain-smoking, extremely negative person that only called me when she needed something.

They've only talked to each other a handful of times and it was a major inconvenience for my mother. *I* haven't talked to my mother since Christmas. So, to answer your question, 1) they don't really interact and 2) it doesn't affect my relationships at all.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No. They don't talk to each other unless the extremely rare occassion they are in the same room together and even then it's a sentence each if that. MIL started trouble at the very beginning lying about my mother, and even came between my husband and I with more lies, none of which endeared her to my mother. We've nearly divorced over the crap my MIL has started. DH made the threat one time too many and I said fine I'm sick of you and your mommy, I hope you're happy together. Suddenly it was, no I don't want that, please stay, etc. Now he sees what that woman does for what it is most of the time and I have as little to do with her as possible. It's better that way.
    Anonymous

• My mother has passed away, but yes...they got along famously.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2011