Do you think that its okay to start a relationship with a man that is separated from his wife?

One of my male friends is starting a new relationship with a woman. His wife has moved out and they have filed for a divorce. They had been roommates for about 2 years, however he did admit to me that every four months or so he would "fall on her every now and again".

But he had to go overseas for a year and he found a new squeeze over there. He wants to get it on hot and heavy now with this new chick.

I've explained that he is still married. He states, "but its over"... I ask, do you think that its okay to start a relationship with a man that is separated from his wife?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• NO NO NO .....he is legal married until the divorce is final.....and if he "fell" on her every couple of months then it wasnt that over
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• NOPE. They are still married, he is a married man point blank. who's to say they won't reconcile ? lots of couples reconcile.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• EXACTLY CARA.... That's what I said.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No way! I went through this with a guy I dated. I had no idea their divorce was not final. One big mess. Needless to say I broke it off with him when I found out (she had told me) and he went back to his wife. Never a good idea until the divorce is finalized.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Not until the divorce is final.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 11:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Only if he shows me legal documentation of his pending divorce(date included) and has evidently moved on physically and emotionally.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• no, not okay.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• no way, if he has documents and a court date for the FINAL hearing you can wait.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Each to his/her own.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think it is perfectly fine as long as a man is separated and has filed for divorce. That was the state my husband's previous marriage had been when we met and began dating. His ex had already moved out 4 months before and was in a relationship with another man. I had no doubt he would complete the divorce - which he did and we got married 2.5 years after we met.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2011