Potty training advice. HELP

ds will be 3 on tuesday. He finally decided he would pee in the potty about a month ago. YAY. put him in big boy undies and havent looked back since. wtg eli! only problem is he will not tell me until it is to late for the other so i end up having to clean him up. He will come up to me and say "mama i stink" i get so aggravated. he doesnt have one everyday nor is it a certain time. He could go once a day in the morning then go a day without and go the next afternoon. any advice on how to get him to poop in the potty? HELP

tiffany0507

Asked by tiffany0507 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• you could try a sticker chart, or a little candy (marshmellow, m&m, etc) for when he goes in the potty. And if he goes in his pants, just remind him that there is no treat for going in your pants.
    Good luck!
    hillari
    hilmom

Answer by hilmom at 11:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Reward the expected behavior. You have to find his hot button though, and then push it with wild abandon. In other words, at one point my son was fixated on Thomas the Tank Engine. We went to Toys R Us and made a wish list of items he had his eye on at the time. I purchased a few - one bigger item and a few smaller thing. I put those up on a shelf out of reach in the bathroom. I hung a sticker chart up too. For every 5 stickers, he got a small prize. When all the small prizes were gone, he got the big one. Although, frankly, what closed the deal for both my kids was preschool. They both wanted to go but had to be full-time potty users in order to do so. No accidents (well occasional was ok, but I didn't tell them that. LOL!) It was a great motivation for them.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2011