ADHD

Do you think ADHD is over diagnosed? Do you think parents just want a quick answer?

2prettylittle1s

Asked by 2prettylittle1s at 11:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's very likely that in many cases it is over diagnosed. But not in my case. My son has ADHD, and in my opinion and son's circustance it is a very severe life altering disability that effects every aspect of his life. If it wasn't for the medicated patch that he wears everyday, he would constantly be getting into trouble, the school wouldn't be able to handle him, he wouldn't have friends, would never complete an assignment, and he would have the self-esteem of a gnat. He was kicked out of preschool, I've had to pick him up and take him home from public school because he was too out of control, he bit my wedding ring in half when he was three, he constantly gets into everything in my house to the point going to the bathroom for me is like gambling, he has pee and poo accidents and he's nearly 7, and I clean up messes on a daily basis due to his impulsivity and innability to stop. ADHD is a very real disorder.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes, not all kids labeled with ADHD have ADHD.......it's called lack of parenting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I agree Heather! My Daughter has some of the same issues, but people tell me all the time it is misdiagnosed and that I'm taking the easy way out! I think the medicine is the only thing that helps sometimes. The if she misses her medicine one day her whole day is messed up! Her doctor who has seen her all of her life says she is a compulsive ADHD. It is def a complicating disorder!!
    2prettylittle1s

Comment by 2prettylittle1s (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• 2prettylittle1s I would have to say that it is the most difficult challenging thing I have ever faced, I have lost the support of friends and family over it. They will never understand unless they walk a mile in our shoes. I challenge anyone who doesn't believe this is a true disorder to come stay at my house for a week and still tell me I'm killing my child's soul by medicating. More like saving it in my opinion, supporting him, and giving his brain the chance to function more normally so that he can still do the things he loves without creating mayhem, allowing him the ability to follow simple two-step directions and therefore creating a sense of independence...whereas before I would have to dress him myself, hover over every step until things got done, etc.
    I wish you and your daughter the best. Hang in there Momma...this can only make us stronger!!!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thank you Heathercurlz!! I completely agree they should just walk in our shoes!! Thanks for the encouragement!! Much needed it times like this!
    2prettylittle1s

Comment by 2prettylittle1s (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It's amazing to me how so many people are not only medical experts with zero training but also experts on other people's kids (although their own children are far from perfect). My own personal opinion is that it isn't over-diagnosed as much as many people think it is and it's not because of lack of discipline. Studies are already proving it may be in more of our food and/or environment than anyone would like to admit.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thanks PTmomma3!!!
    2prettylittle1s

Comment by 2prettylittle1s (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• An ADHD diagnosis is not a quick answer. DD has had one since 2001 and it wasn't even the right diagnosis. She's had worse behaviors at times from the medications we've tried. With girls, I think it's underdiagnosed. I wish they knew what caused it and had better ways of diagnosing it. A lack of focus can be due to many things, but the hyperfocus and co-ocuring conditions with ADHD make it hard to deal with.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My oldest DD was diagnosed and medicated. We saw WORSE behavior on the pills so we stopped and went back to the DR. He refused to try anything else. We got past the "omg help" and started asking relatives what helped with their kiddos. ( we have a long history of autism and ADD in my family) after cutting her down to whole foods and barely processed foods (rare candy even) her behavior changed drastically.

I would say that we as parents did not have a clue for raising a kid and we have learned to do it better. One big factor was cutting tv time down to 1-2 hours per day. She reenacts what she watches on tv, thinking that is acceptable.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 10:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2011