What things will get a child taken by CPS?

I'm asking because I know a child who is very poorly taken care of but we are almost positive that its not bad enough for her to be taken. What sort of things WILL get her taken. I know it sounds bad but we don't want her there and she needs to be somewhere that she is taken care of properly. Anyone with experience in this know what they look for? I want to know she'll get out of there before I try calling them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends. Abuse, neglect, child being left unsupervised at a young age. If youre positive she wont get taken away maybe you can step in and help.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• how old is she? and it depends on the state as well.
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 12:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have her as much as I can, they don't physically abuse her but she isn't cared for like she should be, but how bad is bad enough for them to actually do something? They leave her alone in the bath and she's not even two, well her dad does, but how can CPS catch that kind of stuff if they know they're going to be watched they aren't going to be as careless so I'm so frustrated as to what else to do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• almost 18 months and we are in Kansas. This is not my first post about her I just don't like putting my name on this in case anyone sees that its me and her parents find out and I don't get to watch her anymore. I dont think anyone who knows me and them could see this but I dont want to risk it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Poorly taken care of???? You have to explain.
    As listed above...neglect, child abuse, also drugs in the home.

I had to call CPS on my neighbors, their 4 year old would be out wandering around early mornings and late nights by herself and I don't live in the best neighborhood. They didn't take her, but I don't see her wandering around by herself.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• thats not something they can catch!
    things such as if she was dirty all the time. and or the house wasent neat or it was just a drug house or such that would have her taken.
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 12:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• How do you know for sure they leave her alone in the bath tub?

I mean, it's going to be really hard to prove that hun. I'll pray for her though.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Do not call CPS!!!! That's the worst thing you can do!! They take the child right from the home immediately, child that young doesn't understand and put them wherever they want and nobody can see them. CPS is careless and will use anything you say, twist it and make it worse!!! They're not looking out for the child only trying to prove they found another bad parent! With only one child, they still have some things to learn but ne reason to go to extended lengths to teach them a lesson!!! It's VERY traumatic on the kid and if you offer to take her you'll never see her after they realize they have no reason to convict. Dh and I had our dd taken because my mother determined she wasn't being taken care of which we proved to be 100% false and they are investigating her now for false pretences. If she calls CPS for any reason they will ignore her. We got dd back and she appologizes for everything so quickly and cries for so long!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ok her fathers a drug addict, her mom smokes pot alot, she goes out drinking every weeking leaving her with the father who is on drugs and falls asleep sitting up, he has almost caught himself on fire dropping cigarettes on himself 100s of times, their house is always dirty they have a giant dog in a tiny bedroom house, they RARELY bathe her and only gave her a bottle with formula up until a week or so ago, their kitchen floor is covered in dog hair and cat hair, dirt, food crumbs, trash that is overflowing, they never clean anything at all, laundry is thrown everywhere... and we KNOW she is left alone when she is given a bath because my MIL has stopped by and her dad was outside smoking and when she asked where she was he told her in the bath, and no one else was home to be watching her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• There are two other kids in the house, a 4 year old and 6 year old, just not related to me because they are her kids not his, he is my brother in law. So its not that they are new to being parents, they are just too lazy to do what they should. The oldest goes to school smelling TERRIBLE because he never gets a bath and their clothes are always dirty.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011