Would You Prefer to Work For Someone Else or Own Your Business?

This may be a weird question to some and this is not a question that leads to a scam.. I am just curious!

Working for someone, in general, you most likely have a steady paycheck, you will work consistent hours, you can separate work from home, but you have to work on their time with their rules with people you may not like.

Owning Your Own Business or Working on Your Own Time, in general, means more time and effort into planning and producing which causes inconsistent work hours, your pay will probably be up and down, you most likely bring work home with you, but you do things on the time you wish and its is yours to control along with the people you potentially hire!

If you could choose, what would you do?

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 12:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I do both right now until my production anime house can stand on its own and it will because we work hard the best of both worlds and college on top of it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I do both lol... I work for my kids (SAHM) and I work for myself (WAHM). I cannot stand working for someone else. Normally because I can see issues easily and the types of bosses I have could care less. I cannot stand working for someone that doesn't take their job seriously. I am very happy being my own boss.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 12:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm a sex toy lady. Yes the pay can vary from party to party, BUT I have the freedom and flexibility to run things the way I want, schedule my own hours, and, of course it's FUN! For example- we are remodeling our kitchen. I took off this week and next to help hubby with cabinets and tile. What other "job" let's you do that? I always tell people, no I'm not a millionaire, but I can sit on my butt and screw around on Facebook or CafeMom all day while they're at work. I go to work 2 or 3 days a week (6-10 hours), and make MORE than they did in 40 hours.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I prefer working for myself because my income is directly correlated with how hard I work. If I slack off, I make less. If I put in extra hours, I make more. Although an hourly wage or salary would guarantee me a set amount, I would make that same amount whether I came in and busted my ass or did just enough to get by. Plus, nobody can fire me. Okay, so a client could drop me... but there are thousands, perhaps millions, or potential clients for me... so it's not really the same as being canned entirely. I don't have to ask permission to take a sick day or to go on vacation. It's true income can be sporadic, and it does take planning on some level, but I wouldn't want a "real job" over what I do EVER if I could help it.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I always worked for someone else and its fine with me.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I work for someone else currently, but also just partnered with my hubby in starting a business. Rigth now, it's just a process of getting clients thats hard.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My Husband works outside of the home for his employer. I didn't have any issues with working for someone else until he get let go from his job. I realized that any employer can let you go whenever they want, which is scary. I have my own home based business. I love working for myself, I love the fact that I get to choose who I work with. My goal is to replace his income within the next couple years so that we won't ever have to worry about anymore.
    Anonymous

• I have a home business and love it.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I actually preferred working for someone else. As a small business owner, everything is my responsibility

Answer by rkoloms at 11:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I do both right now and will be working only for me in just a few short months! Definitely prefer working only for me because when I work for someone else I am limited on how much I can earn and there are only so many rungs in the ladder. My fate is in someone else's hands as far as salary or benefits cuts, layoffs or business closures. So many people have a job one day and gone the next or are told their salary is getting cut, so they have to do the same job and work the same hours for less money! No more JOB (just over broke)

Working for myself, my income potential is unlimited, I can set my own hours and therefore can be more flexible to meet with clients (not tied to "office hours) , don't need permission to take off work, and I don't have to miss important family events because I can't get of work .. like kindergarten graduation or a recital. And, I make a full time income working part time ! I LOVE MY WAH business!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 12:23 AM on Jul. 4, 2011