What do you do with your kids during the week on summer break?

I was just curious as what other moms do with their kids. Do you have lazy days at home, do you try to plan 1 thing a week to go do, do you overwhelm your kids with activities?

I have a 9,6,and 4 year old. My oldest is doing a basketball program for just 4 days and a dance program for a couple weeks, my 6 year old did not want to do any sports and my youngest just wants to be with me!! We plan on going to my MIL's house to swim during the summer, we have a long weekend getaway planned and other then that just hanging around home, I am trying to maybe plan on maybe doing something "special" once a week, like the zoo or museum, etc...

I was just wondering on average what other families do? On one hand I feel like I should be doing more and on the other hand I feel like it is enough.

Thanks !!

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• we go swimming, trips to the library. We have one or two vacations to visit family and the older ones go to camp for a week.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• we go swimming.
    nature walks they love it.
    park only when it cools off.
    library.
    fishing.
    we went to puerto rico in june,
    i try to do everything i can with them bc my husband works pretty much full time( coca-cola man) so we take them to visit dif factorys as well. they love it.
    best yet is the crayola factory.
    we wanted to go camping this summer but my little guy has really bad asthma and allergies so that doesnt work as well.
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 12:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Both DH and I work full time. My boys go to a full-day day-camp during the summer holiday.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We homeschool year round with the month of June as our summer break. Usually we do the summer reading program in June, but this year we signed up with the community theater's kids program and have had a blast - plus we are counting it as an elective class (3 hours a day, 4 days a week so plenty of hours in for a full block course).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My kids are 11, 9, 8, 5 and almost 1. I don't plan anything over the summer. Other than the baby they are expected to entertain themselves and find stuff to do. We don't have the money or the means to sign them up for camps and activities (not that I'd want them to be involved in that stuff... summer to me is about just relaxing and having nothing to do). We're going to the zoo on the 14th for the baby's birthday but other than that we have nothing actually planned. We'd like to go camping once and go to the beach but that's when my husband can get off (he has Mon/Tue off but usually works his days off at least twice a month so that leaves 4 days a month we can actually do stuff and we have to fit in grocery shopping and errands that I can't do since I don't have a car).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2011