• In the Spotlight:

what are cysts?

please help. thanks!

tiffany275

Asked by tiffany275 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Health

• They are tissue masses that form throughout the body. I am not really sure what causes them, but I had a really bad ovarian cyst when I was 13 that had wrapped itself around my left ovary and fallopian tube. I had to have my entire left reproductive side removed!!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Exact definition: An abnormal membranous sac containing a gaseous, liquid, or semisolid substance. Basically a small, hollow "lump" that is usually filled with goo. :)
    RCrohn

Answer by RCrohn at 6:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I have had a cyst from birth. It's on my collar bone basically, though not actually attached. When I was about 7-8 it got infected. The doctor took out the infection in surgery, and I had to take out three pieces of gauze per day after the surgery. There must have been a lot of infection or just a really big hole because there was a lot of gauze. I remember it being so disgusting, covered in pus and blood. And it hurt to pull it out. I seriously hope this never happens to you or anyone you know.
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 2:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008