Race and Nationality are tied together...

I was answering another question and it made me think about this...

I am of British & Scandinavian decent (AKA: White as can be LOL) with a bunch of random Native American mixed it (Not so White). But, I think Race and Nationality are tied together... they both play a huge factor, yet neither tells the tale alone.

If asked I just say I'm an American!! That started mostly just to piss off an History professor in college (long story)... but hey, after all I was born here, my Father was born here, his Father was born here, my Father's Father's Father was born here... so at what point do you stop being from somewhere else??

I know... the the two views are kinda in conflict from each other...

So, my question... I guess what I'd like to know is - 
Do you identify stronger with your Race or your Nationality (Ancestry)?

(tell us what your race vs your nationality just so we have a frame of reference if you would please)

Thanks Ladies... hope your all having a good day ;o)

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'm an American first and foremost. Race is a secondary thing. It is skin deep. We are all put together the same way, bleed the same when cut, and suffer the same illnesses which are blind to race. (or at least most of them are) Character matters to me so much more than the color of skin. I am caucasian too, but always 1st and American.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I've got a friend from South Africa. He was denied status as an "African American", because although he was physically born in that country and on that continent, his skin is not dark. How's that for odd?

I actually identify more as "American", so I guess I'm on the nationality side of things. My ancestry is much too mixed to pin-down. Although I'm physically Caucasian, it's just not an aspect of myself that is in the fore-front of my mind. Just like, I know that my feet are a size seven, but I can go months and months and months without intellectually engaging that information.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yep, I'm a good ol American Mutt!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I feel my race is causasian, my nationality is American.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I see it theis way. if you go back far enough. Even Native Americans are from somewhere else. I heard Asia some where.
    My ansesters are from Europe some where.

Answer by louise2 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Personally I think more in terms of ancestry when asked about race.

Here's another example of how definitions get skewed... I have a Black friend from England... but he is British, NOT African American... But where is that on those forms that say "race"?? He refuses to call himself an American anything, he's British!!

Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm an Amaerican Mutt too!! LOL!! I like that!! My father is German and polish and my mother is a bunch of things. All I know is I'm so white I burn after 30 minutes in the sun!! LOL!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 12:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I am only third generation American on my Mother's side. Her parents were from Russia and Poland. My Dad's family originated from Germany many generations ago. I like to say I am an American of Russian, Polish and German heritage.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 12:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm a mutt. I know some of my roots, but not all. Basically my race is Caucasian, but if you are proud to be white you're a racist. )c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• So, what I'm seeing so far is people tend to identify more with their nationality vs race...
    I assume b/c most of you mention only nationality. Fair assumption??

Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011