Anyone have advice on making "out and about" easier?

My three biggest "pain in the rear problems:
1) how to pack lighter?
2) how to keep the car seat and car from getting so messy with crumbs?
3) Restaurants: it's just never worth it! Any advice on occupying kids and/or making this less messy?

Any advice or suggestions on products would be great!

MomInColo

Asked by MomInColo at 12:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well kid friendly places are used to the mess, I never really worried about packing stuff (too much) for out and about, because for my little guy he could only last about an hour or two at the most,,, and as for the car,, just try not to let it bother you,,part of having a kiddo!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• The more I go out, the easier it gets. I only take one diaper in with me wherever I go because chances are, I'm not going to have to change them more than once. I leave the rest of it out in a CAR daiper bag that I leave there at all times as back up. I plan my activities around eating and take a small zip lock full of crackers or something to snack on and maybe a juice box/sippy and that's it!. Crayons and a few sheets of paper in my purse for any bored times! :)
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 12:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think you jsut get used to it- I have no idea how to help with the first 2 really- maybe put a blanket under the carseat to protect the car and pull off the carseat cover and wash it once in awhile...
    as for the last one- we did not take our kids to restaraunts until they were probably 5 or 6- same with movie theaters
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Having a "go" bag really helped me - I kept it stocked with toys they ONLY got to play with when we were in the car or out somewhere. It kept them novel and like they always had something different to play with. I

Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• When u find the answer let me know, im on # 4 and still havent found it. Believe it r not, you will miss it onw day
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I keep a tote in the trunk with extra clothes and diaper for each, plus any thing else they could need while we are out. They only get to eat in their carseats if we are on long trips. As for resturants we only go to Family friendly, if they don;t have high chairs and kids menus we don't belong there. They are used to a reasonable amount of mess. I won't let mine intentionally make a mess, but if they drop a piece of food I don't freak out.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 8:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011